jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the best brand of coffeemaker to take on a camping trip and why?

1. DonnaCosmato profile image98
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

What is the best brand of coffeemaker to take on a camping trip and why?

2. Outbound Dan profile image99
    Outbound Danposted 6 years ago

As a backpacker, I use instant coffee when I feel like having a cup on the trail.  The little instant packs aren't half bad, especially when you have caffeine withdrawal and are out in the woods on a multi-day trip. 
    When I am car camping or canoe camping, I have a French press from GSI which is awesome.  It is made from rugged lexan and is very easy to use; however, as with all French presses, cleanup can be interesting. 
    Another one to looks at, if size and weight is an issue, is the Primus / Brunton Flip and Drip coffee maker.  Very few moving parts and very easy to use, but it only makes one delicious cup at a time.  I bought one of these for a friend of mine and it works awesome. 
    If size and weight isn't an issue, check out Coleman's drip coffee maker that mounts on your two-burner stove.  Also, if size and weight isn't an issue, and you want something really cool - check out the propane-powered Primus Brewfire.

3. catchadream profile image61
    catchadreamposted 6 years ago

I like the good old fashioned perculator.  It makes great coffee and you never need to worry about electricity.  All you need is a stove top of sorts, the portable camping stove top that uses propane works just fine. 

If you are rustic camping and have no anemities and no stove top, you can use a perculator on the fire you use for cooking.  When I did a lot of rustic camping, I had a very large grate that fit nicely over most fire pits that I could use for cooking and coffee. If you have a hot enough campfire the night before, it is very easy to get a fire started in the morning for your coffee.  Gotta have your coffee in the morning and freshly perked is the best.

4. chabias profile image60
    chabiasposted 6 years ago

I love the old-fashioned perculator coffee pots, and use one at home almost everyday. You can use it over a campfire or on a camp stove, and it will keep the coffee hot for a while.
    If you're backpacking, the coffee pot might be a bit bulky. In which case, I would suggest buying the little packets of instant coffee. They're the perfect amount of coffee for the taller travel mugs, and they are fairly cheap. I buy mine at Dollar General for $1 for a box of 6.

5. badegg profile image76
    badeggposted 6 years ago

I pack a simple old fashioned over the fire cowboy style percolater. Why? Because that's what camping is all about!

6. Dolores Monet profile image98
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

We camp in a primitive style and I like one of those old fashioned spotted enamel coffee pots. It has that old fashioned charm and you can find them in small or large sizes. Have no idea of the brand.

working