jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I have twins and then a single son, would the 2nd born twin be the middle child?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I have twins and then a single son, would the 2nd born twin be the middle child?

2. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I would believe so, but then again twins are their own special breed, aren't they.

3. profile image0
    Nick Lucasposted 6 years ago

by default, yes.......but maybe dont ever tell him/her that haha congrats!!

4. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I think that it depends on the way the personalities develop in the twins.  I have five kids and find that the "middle child" is probably child number 4, but number 2 took that role earlier.  I do think that "middle kids" can develop a lot of wonderful traits if the kids as a whole are always encouraged to help each other and work together

5. birthordertraits profile image56
    birthordertraitsposted 6 years ago

I have a single daughter, then a pair of boy-girl twins!

I feel that it can go both ways, and most likely your 2nd twin is going to be a middle child with first born tendencies.

It would be expected that your first children followed rules and instructions very well, because as first time parents we wanted to get things right and were tighter in control. however, the need to carve a niche of themselves in the family still exists, so even though they are twins and people expect them to develop similar personalities, they are in fact going to be quite distinctly different from one another!

Your twins are definitely going to be an attraction (mine are!) whenever you're out, and I think they would make a good elder sibling team and look out for their younger brother!

The bottom line with twins is to ALWAYS treat them as unique individuals, never as a pair, while the other would be to make sure they don't get too much limelight or their single sibling would be the one blended into the background!

6. A.A. Zavala profile image85
    A.A. Zavalaposted 6 years ago

This sounds like a question from my logic class in college.  Now I will be wondering all night...

7. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I'd say "no"; but even he "technically" were, I'd say people shouldn't ever use that label anyway if it all possible.  It's got a bad name, and sometimes the happiest and most well adjusted children (who happen to be "middle children") are labelled, worried about (and watched for signs of problems) to the point where the label - not the actual birth order - becomes the problem.   (I know "The Books" often say otherwise, but I don't care.  I also know what I've for seen for myself, and I've seen how inaccurately "The Books" have often gotten things when it comes to birth order, and maybe middle children in particular.)

working