jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Why do people strongly resent only children? It is jealousy and envy or other f

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Why do people strongly resent only children?  It is jealousy and envy or other factors?

2. Happyboomernurse profile image85
    Happyboomernurseposted 6 years ago

I don't remember resenting only children while I was growing up, but I do remember feeling jealous of the love, attention and material things they seemed to have.
    I think only children are becoming much more prevalent in our modern society because it is becoming harder and harder for parents to afford kids and also to take care of them when not only spouses, but also aunts, uncles and many grandparents are working.

3. Blond Logic profile image99
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

I think they are "spoiled" not just with material things but also with the attention. This develops into a "look at me attitude" that carries on into their later life such as at school and adulthood.

I think only children don't learn how to share, don't communicate well  with others, and generally are less well behaved.

In school they probably excel in classes but not socially.

In saying that, I believe they miss out on so much by being an only child. They don't learn how to stand up for themselves, they don't learn the hierarchy of a family, and they miss out being a sibling.

1. Rena Alexander profile image54
      Rena Alexanderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Blond Logic, if you truly believe that, then I guess you believe that all blondes are dumb.
      You cannot say all only children are the same way.  There are plenty of siblings who are spoiled and have a  “look at me attitude,” and you know this.  You a

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.   Onlies are indeed privileged and they have many things that those with siblings do not have.   Onlies are not missing out on anything, in fact, it is those with siblings who wish they were like us!

4. profile image0
    writerwoman222posted 6 years ago

I don't recall an 'only' child being resented, rather they were pitied for being alone without siblings...

1. Rena Alexander profile image54
      Rena Alexanderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Writerwoman22, the people who "pity" an only child is jealous and envious.  Do you pity children with siblings who are often bullied, neglected, feel lost in the shuffle, and suffer from low self esteem due to favoritism in the family?

2. gmwilliams profile image85

Totally agree with you Rena.   It is children in multichild families who tend to suffer from parental favoritism, sibling bullying, and other things associated with siblingship.   We onlies do not have to endure such drama at all!

5. Rena Alexander profile image54
    Rena Alexanderposted 5 years ago

Writerwoman22, the people who "pity" an only child are, indeed, jealous and envious.  Do you pity the many children with siblings who are often bullied, neglected, feel lost in the shuffle, and suffer from low self esteem due to favoritism in the family?

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Totally agree with you Rena.    Many children with siblings, especially those in medium large to very large families, receive little to no attention.   The oldest gets the shaft, the middle child is ignored while the youngest gets all the adulation!

working