jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you start new holiday traditions when you remarry and combine families?

1. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

Do you start new holiday traditions when you remarry and combine families?

When you combine families through remarriage, do you start new holiday traditions or carry over the old ones from previous marriages?

2. Allen Williams profile image84
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

I am on my first and hopefully last marriage so I can't speak from that point of view of remarriage.

It would seem to me that just as when I got married my wife and I both had some different traditions but once we were married we kept some traditions and combined others and even started our own. 

I think it is only fair to start new ones or merge traditions to be fair to everyone involved, especially if there are kids that look forward to certain traditions.  I believe I would sit down with my wife and children from both marriages and see what is important to everyone and make compromises.

This was a very good question that I don't believe many people give thought to.

3. tonyfischer profile image81
    tonyfischerposted 6 years ago

sure! Starting some new ones may be in order but you should always keep some of the old.

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Yep, sure do -- we keep what we like of our respective traditions, and throw a bunch of new ones in big_smile. My husband is my second, and I'm his third wife -- there are four children from his previous marriages, but only one is still a minor so he's the only one I've gotten to visit with much. I have one child from my first marriage, we have one together and one more on the way. Since combining families, we've actually gone back to a lot of the traditions I was raised with and abandoned, and started up new ones based on the personalities of everyone involved. The result: We're all having a lot more fun during the holidays than we ever did before smile. I think old traditions need to be re-assessed every now and then, and if they're just not all that much fun anymore, then it might be time to revise or replace them.

5. advisor4qb profile image77
    advisor4qbposted 6 years ago

I think so.  At the very least, I would want to incorporate their traditions with mine to give a pleasant experience to all.

6. profile image44
    Chosenwomanposted 6 years ago

When me and my husband got married we both agreed that we would start our own traditions and we like that. We still get with family during the holidays but we do our traditions first...before we meet with family and friends.