jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

December Holiday Traditions: Do you have a special holiday tradition for this se

1. Erin LeFey profile image78
    Erin LeFeyposted 7 years ago

December Holiday Traditions: Do you have a special holiday tradition for this season?

Whether personal, religious, family, friends or any group - I've heard of many beautiful traditions this time of year having to do with religious, secular, non-secular, Winter, Traditional etc.
    Do you have stories, traditions, that have been passed down, just invented by you, or something special you  want to share? Anything from  a group cooking tradition, holiday meal, a singing fish, religious observances, winter beach parties,  special songs, homemade liquor, special ornament, special clothing, services, winter get-away? what makes your holiday special to you or your family?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4210964_f260.jpg

2. Erin LeFey profile image78
    Erin LeFeyposted 7 years ago

I thought I should at least answer my own question to get things started...my family celebrates Christmas since most of them are Catholic. My immediate family including my mom and dad, my two sisters, me and my brother, significant others and the grandchildren all still exchange presents among each other. We are not always together on Dec 25th since we are spread all across the country (U.S.) There is one present that has been making its rounds in the family for at least seven years. It came from a thrift shop and its a carved wooden statue about seven inches high and about six inches wide and it looks like a hawaiian warrior couple. We call this the "Immunity Idol", kind of like from the show "Survivor". I never really watched it, but my sisters and my mom did. Whoever gets it as a present gets "immunity" from being "kicked out of the family for a year". Of course its a big joke, we are a very close family. The next year it is their job to pass it on to someone they deem worthy of the idol.
    As an aside: I've never gotten it...I'm not quite sure what this means...but I'm still in the family and haven't been voted out yet so I must be playing right. smile

3. lilibees profile image61
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

In my home we drive around our town here on Christmas eve looking at all the beautiful lights that people have put up! We of course watch charlie browns Christmas, and sprinkle reindeer food in our yard! So several traditions not just one.

4. Piper Day profile image61
    Piper Dayposted 7 years ago

Christmas is so different every year for me yet many aspects are typical. I think its sweet to have a special tradition. Sadly, I don't have any that I would consider special. Maybe I'll think of one this year and try to keep at it every year.

Closed to reply

working