jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do mothers feel that their own babies are the most beautiful babies in the w

1. Gulligris profile image57
    Gulligrisposted 6 years ago

Why do mothers feel that their own babies are the most beautiful babies in the world?

I know I feel that way about my own kids.  Is it biological, chemical, some kind of trick of mother nature?  Does everybody feel that way?  Is it just familiarity?  Or is it a visual illusion played by the mind? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5896785_f260.jpg

2. lobobrandon profile image91
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

It's biological. All mothers and even some fathers think that their babies are the most beautiful. If it wasn't that way then mothers would ditch their kids (if they were ugly) - not in the present days but before. However, the genes are still present in humans

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think unconditional love does that for us.  When you love someone as much as a parent loves a child, they are beautiful in our eyes--regardless of how they really look.  It works to our benefit and the child's.  We've all see our share of homely kids and the parents of those kids think they are beautiful.  A good thing.

4. Gulligris profile image57
    Gulligrisposted 6 years ago

I was thinking that maybe it has to do with the actual features of the children, in the case of biological kids; it makes sense; we are familiar with our own facial features and the facial features of the one we married.  And children's features are exaggerated by Mother Nature to make them cuter-- huge eyes in relation to the face, round noses, round faces, plumpy cheeks.  So it's like a cute-i-fied version of ourselves and/or our lovers. 

In the case of adopted babies, I think the same adoration comes from 1) the Mother Nature exaggerated cuteness of all babies (think of Disney exaggerated eyes and round noses) and also 2) from knowledge and familiarity-- the recognition of what that look means, what that blink means, what that gesture developed from.

I love babies so much.  Even when my baby is screaming his head off, I just want to kiss his sweet baby lips and cheeks and his cute little neck and his sweet little shoulders and bum.  Babies are just the best!!!

working