What is your favorite memory of your grandparents?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. slappywalker profile image92
    slappywalkerposted 12 years ago

What is your favorite memory of your grandparents?

2. Sweetsusieg profile image76
    Sweetsusiegposted 12 years ago

As a small child my brother, my mother and I lived with my grandparents.  When I would get up in the morning with my Grandpa (everyone else was still sleeping) I would drink coffee with him.  He made mine special.  I had a small glass with mostly milk and a touch of coffee.  It was a very special time in my life.

3. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 12 years ago

My grandad,he sat in old Windsor chair, he used to shave with a straight razor an his strop hung at the fireplace.  Every time we used to visit when I was a young boy, about aged 5 he'd say, 'what mischief have you been up to, where's my strop?'
    My grandmother used to make sweets, all around the kitchen she would have jars and jars of sweets that she always dished out.  I used to have to go to the abatoir for her with a threepenny bit to get a bucket of pig's blood, and some beef fat so she could make black pudding, I had to keep the bucket twisting all the way home to stop the blood congealing.  Sometimes I had to get a pis head so she could make brawn, but grandad always argued becasuse he wanted it roast so the took it in turns one week brawn the next roast  head.

4. Cammiebar profile image69
    Cammiebarposted 12 years ago

My late nanna was always strict with everyone.  I didn't like her much when I was a child.  But when I grew older and could understand her better, I would enjoy talking with her.  Her stories of how my mother dealt with us misbehaving children were the best.  She would even get up and imitate actions that my mother took, such as carrying an unruly brother out of a salon while my mother's hair was still wet and half cut.  Her stories were the best, once I was old enough to understand them.

5. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately I never new mine, oh how I envy people with memories of them.
    Can't answer but a nice question.

6. carolp profile image78
    carolpposted 12 years ago

Everytime i visited my grandparents with my sister, My Grandpa used to prepare the table and asked us to stay and eat our favorite menu as my Grandma immediately went to the kitchen and cook our favorite dish. So delicious!!!

In the afternoon my sister and i accompanied Grandpa to go to the market and his loving bulldog used to carry a native bamboo basket with his mouth with vegetables, fruits or fish.

This beautiful memory remains forever.

7. Mindtrapz profile image61
    Mindtrapzposted 12 years ago

Them taking a nap during the midday so I could raid their cabinets of Hostess apple pies. Oh tha memories

8. brielise profile image60
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

On my mom's side, my grandparents both passed away from cancer: my grandmother when my mom was 16 and my grandfather when I was 5, so I have no memories of them. My grandfather on my dad's side passed away when he was young and my grandmother developed Alzheimers when I was 6 and it was a very rapid progression, and she lived with my aunt so I never really saw her.

But I was very close to my great grandmother until I she passed away when I was 8 and my fondest memory of her was when I was waiting in the car with her and I asked if she would be at my wedding. She said, "You won't see me but I'll be there with you, that day and every other day." Shortly after she passed away, but I'll always remember that and I have her wedding ring so she'll be a big part of my wedding day.

I was also close to my great aunt (who passed away when I was 17) and I can remember cooking with her a lot. She had always lived alone, never married or had children, so she was kind of perfectionist and there are certain things I now do where my mom says, "I never did that! Why are you like that?" For instance, my linen closet is perfectly folded and organized like a department store. So far I don't iron my sheets before I put them on my bed, but I guess that could come with age... My boyfriend always makes fun of me because even though my great aunt helped to raise me, when she passed away I didn't get anything from her so I took this hideous green vinyl step stool chair she had in her kitchen that no one else wanted and was in my parents basement even by the time I got my own place. Since that was where I always sat, I sat it in the same place in my kitchen.

9. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

Sitting in their living room asking them about their childhoods and what it was like back in the '30's through the '60's. I could have sat there for hours.

10. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

My grandfather was a minister and every Saturday night my grandmother would make several Lemon Meringue Pies for the fellowship meal that followed the Sunday service. The house smelled so good and I remember always wanting to have a slice after she baked them. "These are for the church people", she would say, "You can have as much as you want after church tomorrow." For many years, growing up, I had a slice of Grandma's pie every Sunday.

11. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

I remembered it as a place of comfort.

I used to travel all the way to my grandparent's home and I had the most great feeling and comfort. Used to sleep many times on their bed while I was visiting them.

Love the food my grandparents given me during those days.

12. smzclark profile image61
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

My Great Grandpa left me with the best memories. Every time I went to visit him he would read 'Green eggs and Ham' while I nestled on his knee, then I would go and pick fresh fruit from his amazing garden and eat it all up while he was busy in the kitchen making me an ice cream cone which he would always put a surprise treat in the bottom of. I always made my brother bite the bottom off his cone to find out what the treat was...

13. justateacher profile image85
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

Being "kidnapped" by my grandfather when I was three. He took me across the state line to go fishing. He was almost arrested for taking me across the state line. Maybe he should have let my parents know he was taking me....lol
    My grandfather's eyesight wasn't the best. One day as he was feeding us "tuna" sandwiches, (that we loved, by the way!) he took  a closer look at the can and discovered that our sandwiches were made from cat food!
    Sitting at my grandmother's side as she told me stories of her youth and how she met my grandfather..

14. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

I got the chance to spend time with my grandmother in her last few months.  Everyday I would give her a sponge bath and tended to her wounds.  I grew closer to her because of this.  A few days before my grandmother passed away I asked her if she was scared.  She said no and that we should not be afraid as well.  She told me to put my faith in God and I can conquer even death.  That was our last conversation.  The following days, she got weaker.  The whole family was beside her during her last minutes.  Seeing her free from all the pain and in a safe place was a relief for me.  In her passing I found my own courage in the face of death.  She died a day after my birthday.

15. lorenmurcia profile image85
    lorenmurciaposted 12 years ago

My favorite memory of my grandmother on my father's side was when I was around 10-11 years old. Every afternoon after school, she would call me and together we would eat the snacks she prepared for the two of us. We would share stories of the day or just simply enjoyed being together. I was then living with her and Grandpa. How I miss them now!

16. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

What a great question!  I loved reading the posts.

I have only a few memories of my paternal grandparents - both of whom died earlier than my mother's parents. My grandmother couldn't see well, and whenever I visited, she asked me to thread her very old sewing machine. It broke my heart, knowing she often waited a long while for someone to be around to thread it for her.

My other grandparents lived a very country life - outdoor plumbing for many years and few amenities. But their house was the most loving place to be. My grandmother made homemade biscuits every morning and fresh cornbread at noon (the big meal). I would stand next to her, barely able to see the top of the cook table, and watch her stir the flour, cornmeal, milk and eggs. To this day, I always make cornbread from scratch, and I know the recipe by heart. As I watch the yellow of the egg make a pinwheel as it blends into the batter, I think of her.

17. Just Ask Susan profile image91
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

Personal memories of my childhood living with my grandparents. Pictures included. read more

18. Penny G profile image62
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Walking in the flooded streets with our pants rolled up after a huge rain. My GrandMother always joined us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)