jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you believe that the passion one has a child persists to be that person's des

1. Farmer Brown profile image67
    Farmer Brownposted 6 years ago

Do you believe that the passion one has a child persists to be that person's destiny in life?

For example, if you were very passionate about caring for cats as a child, your destiny is to become a small pet veterinarian - or - if as a child you surrounded yourself with dinosaur books and toys, your destiny is to become a paleontologist.  I identify these passions as those that started in childhood and endured into adulthood.  Did you idolize Jacques-Yves Cousteau as a child, and as an adult have a career studying fish?  I did!

2. davenmidtown profile image90
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I think that it COULD but you would have to take into account how a persons life changed from childhood to adult.  Environmental elements like tragedy, geographic obstacles such as distance or moving, social obstacles such as peer pressure or even having children,  and economic obstacles such as funding, tuition, etc could all impact whether or not that child was able to continue their passions as an adult.

I think the role of parents should be to develop their children's passions and then work with the child to make those passions a reality.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

It probably depends on what new things a child is exposed to as he or she matures. If the person has never seen a stage play until adulthood, their passion might be inspired for something they'd never before known about. Similarly, a person's passion for something they became interested in as a child can continue to grow through their entire life and be their calling.

As a child, I was passionate about the piano and art, and also writing. I now focus more on writing than the other two passions. But I've added travel, humanitarian work and other interests along the way.

4. KellyPittman profile image80
    KellyPittmanposted 6 years ago

I don't know the answer, but I have to say, it is something I've been thinking about lately.

I read an article by John Acuff (hope i spelled that right) that says that sometimes our "dream job" or some could call it destiny, most of the time lies within our past.

He says it isn't always something to be DISCOVERED but RECOVERED, because most times those passions we had earlier in life are keys to doing what we love to do and along the way we lose that because at the time maybe we just weren't ready for it.

So I am looking back into my past, even my childhood, to find what it is I might have given up on that I may be ready for now. 

Ya know what the first thing I ever wanted to be was?  A WRITER!!  In the third grade I was set on becoming a writer one day.  I loved stories, poetry, and writing songs. 

As I stumbled upong Hubpages months ago, I find that I am learning so much and slowly finding my passion again. 

I still have "Animal Rescuer" and "Acting" on my lists too, but I'm going to give this writing thing a try. 

wink  Good Question, Farmer Brown!

working