jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should parents make their young children to learn a foreign language?

1. kittyjj profile image72
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

Should parents make their young children to learn a foreign language?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6163107_f260.jpg

2. kittyjj profile image72
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

Sorry, I uploaded a wrong picture.  This is embarrassing.  I am new to this website and don't know how to remove the picture.

3. Tricia1000 profile image75
    Tricia1000posted 6 years ago

Yes, I think it is a good idea to expose young children to a foreign language.  Young children are like sponges when it comes to learning new things.  I would thus say the sooner the better.

4. shimmering Dawn profile image73
    shimmering Dawnposted 6 years ago

I don't think there is a simple answer to this... Since my husband and I speak different languages we wanted to find a neutral ground for the children and taught the English from day one.. I believe if the language spoken at home is the mother tongue then the young child should not be confused with too many languages. Children pick up languages easily, now my kids speaks five languages fluently while being able to write in four.. so why pressurize them at a young age.. and not all kids are linguists..

5. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Yes. I intend to teach my children French before the age of 3. There are videos to help teach them so it will be easier than when they are older. Because children are better at learning languages the earlier they are.

6. emimemo profile image81
    emimemoposted 6 years ago

I am not sure you can edit the question photos either. But your smile is nice, you don't have to worry about it.

I speak and teach Japanese to my 2 kids.

I say most of kids start losing their seconds language when they start learning English at school. It is pretty difficult to keep it up both.

As long as they have basic knowledge, they can always catch up later.  Teach them some language and if they are having trouble, you should take it easy on them, so they don't hate the language. Always keep good image of the language and let them think they are good at it.

working