jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What advice would you give to a child entering middle or high school in a new to

1. buckleupdorothy profile image85
    buckleupdorothyposted 6 years ago

What advice would you give to a child entering middle or high school in a new town?

Moving can be difficult, but it can also be a good opportunity to 'start fresh'. What would you tell a child or teen who has moved to a new school district, either about how to stay close to old friends or how to make the most of their new school?

2. tonymead60 profile image92
    tonymead60posted 6 years ago

I went through it, and it is tricky. My advice would be to look forward to the new experience and be patient. Making new friends is easy for some people and a nightmare for others, just be yourself. My experience of school friends is that once you move on they are gone, find new friends and enjoy them until it is time to move on again, there is plenty of time in later life for more permanent relationships. Enjoy the present. I told my grandchildren who have both just moved school, to think of it like being a potted plant as you grow you need a bigger plantpot and what seemed to be right at first is quickly grown out of.

3. TripleAMom profile image85
    TripleAMomposted 6 years ago

I had to move when I started middle school and it was very difficult.  It was hard to make friends because where I went, it was a small town with only one school of each type.  The elementary kids had already formed cliques and it was hard to come in to that.  The best thing to do is to get involved in activities you enjoy, whether sports, drama, art, etc.  Then you can meet students who enjoy the same things and work on developing friendships.

4. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

When I moved to a new area and had to switch schools, I was very shy and reserved. It would have been a lot easier if I had joined some after school activities so that I could have made some friends. It took me quite a while to make some new friends. Joining after school activities would be a good way to make new friends.
    My old friends and I wrote back and forth then and we still do. We also called on the phone and now there is Facebook for them to get together on. My daughter uses that to keep up with her friends.

working