What are the Challenges of Step-Parenting?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

What are the Challenges of Step-Parenting?

2. JillKostow profile image88
    JillKostowposted 6 years ago

Deciding to blend your families is an exciting time for both you and your partner, but most children will not feel the same happiness and excitement that you feel. The children will often be worried about the upcoming changes, living with new siblings, and how their relationship will be affected with their natural parents read more

3. twoseven profile image85
    twosevenposted 6 years ago

I have never been a step-parent myself, but have had 3 different step-parents over time!  I think the main challenge, if the child still has strong relationships to their pre-divorce parents, is to find a way to have a new parent-like relationship without threatening or trying to replace the existing bonds.  I think this is particularly hard for step-parents who do not already have children of their own. 

I have tremendous respect for how difficult it is to become a step-parent.  I think it's somewhat odd and unfortunate that there is no real positive model for being a step-parent - even now, step-parents are often made out to be evil in popular culture.  It's a challenge for a step-parent to develop an approach to step-parenting that finds the right line between being a good parent and not over-stepping.

working