Have you traced your roots back for more than a few generations?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Have you traced your roots back for more than a few generations?

Just how far back can you trace your family tree?

2. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

An Uncle traced my paternal grandmother's side of the family back as far as Norman Conquest in 1066. I am investigating claims that my paternal grandfather's family were in the Domesday Book, but have about 600 years to go.

3. justateacher profile image83
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

So far, I have traced ancestors back to the 1500's on one side....the other side of the family I can't get as far because I lose the trail with my Native American ancestors..It has been amazing to see what I can find!

4. odie_driver profile image59
    odie_driverposted 12 years ago

I can trace a branch of my family tree back to William the Conqueror, and his tree goes back to Sveide `the Sea-King' who was alive around 800 AD.

5. TL Boehm profile image60
    TL Boehmposted 12 years ago

Yes, i'm researching both my maternal and paternal lines and a step father's line - as well as my husbands lineage. So far I've gone back to Charlemagne both sides of the family as well as my step line. The bulk of my research right now is in the 900's with my mom's maternal family.
    I understand brick walls though. They are so frustrating. My husband's paternal family was German and I can't find any information beyond 1850 or so. I also am stuck in the early 1800's on his mom's side.
    What I've noticed is - if you can get back to Colonial America - say a pilgrim - you can get back to William the Conqueror - or close. And William is a descendant of Charlemagne. I think over 25% of people with English ancestry can trace back to William the Conqueror. When I set out to start my family tree - I never planned to go back more than a few generations. I am still surprised by what I've found.
    I also have a dead end on my father's side with a Sandusky Seneca native american grandparent.
    I found one line on my mother's side that shows evidence of going back to 185 AD but I have not researched it. and another that shows evidence (its probably more mythology based than factual) of ancestry back to one of the sons of Noah. I find this evidence suspect of course but sometimes the family mythologies are fun to study.

6. Jamie Brock profile image92
    Jamie Brockposted 12 years ago

Yes, I used a popular online website.. I found out some very interesting things... I actually traced back several generations.  I found out my Great(3x) Grandfather on my dad's side was a Judge, on my mothers side, my grandmother's,  grandmother's husband was the town drunk and a sheriff and he managed to gambled away a few Indian lots that belonged to his wife who was a full blooded choctaw.  He was white.  I found that pretty interesting.  There was lots more but it was a REALLY long time ago.  I was lots of fun learning all this stuff for sure. I'm still not done researching but I have to renew my account on the site first.

7. Mr Archer profile image83
    Mr Archerposted 12 years ago

According to my mother, who makes it her business to know everything she can about her side of the family, we are related to the last king of Scotland; James Macubbin around the early to mid 1200's, I believe. In addition, she states we had ancestors on the Mayflower. She always finds someone important to speak about, so this time I asked her "Why is it people are always related to someone famous, rather than dear old Uncle Dan, who was hung for stealing horses?" She didn't talk to me for about two months, that time.

On my Father's side, we have Cherokee lineage, as the family says; but we cannot connect the dots. Evidently, his ancestors left the area in or around the Carolinas before the Trail of Tears, and settled somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee. The line breaks, and picks up again in the late 1800's. That is the line I am most interested in, but finding the connection is almost impossible.

8. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 12 years ago
  9. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 11 years ago

I have only traced my ancestors back to the 1860s. It is a tedious and time consuming process and some records have been destroyed, are non existent or written in such illegible hand writing that it is difficult to make sense of it all! It really is fascinating piecing all the information together though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)