jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

10 things to consider before naming your baby

1. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 6 years ago

10 things to consider before naming your baby

2. Thrifty Lady profile image90
    Thrifty Ladyposted 6 years ago

One thing to consider is that your baby will grow up one day and need to fill out a job application.  Make sure the name won't be a turnoff to a potential employer.

3. twoseven profile image85
    twosevenposted 6 years ago

I think one important thing to consider is whether there is only one prominent association with the name, or multiple associations.  For example, we considered Alvin for our son (it is a family name), but ruled it out because there is really only one association, so everyone would talk about Alvin and the Chipmunks.  For other names, even if there are strong associations with the name, I think it's easier if there are multiple famous people with the name, instead of just one.

4. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 6 years ago

Well... I don't have any kids yet, but I work with lots of them.  I think it's important the child be able to spell and pronounce their own name by the time they enter school.  The issue of not turning off a potential future employer which thrift lady mentioned, is also important.  I'd also say you should consider whether or not the name will sound appropriate for an adult.  A "cutesy" name, might be cute when your child's a baby, not so much when they're having babies themselves.

5. annart profile image88
    annartposted 6 years ago

I think it's important to look carefully at what your baby's initials will be.  For example, my daughter chose names for her daughter which, in the original  order, would have been SCAB, including surname.  Rearrangement of the middle two names meant SACB, so avoiding any horrible nicknames or cruel remarks at school!  Having said that, my initials are AFC (Amateur Football Club) though no-one ever picked that up at school!
    Other considerations should be:
    a name to suit all ages, a name that isn't too outlandish (original is ok, but...), you're always safe with a traditional name, look for one which suits the baby's colouring, choose to keep a family name going if it's a good one, often nice to use the mum's family name if it's appropriate, pick a name that's not too long or difficult for the child to pronounce....
    Can't think of any more important considerations!

6. JKenny profile image93
    JKennyposted 6 years ago

Its important to remember that one day, the child will be thrust into the schoolyard and if they have some silly name or maybe certain initials they could be subjected to bullying. There was a guy I went to school with, who was called Richard Head, as you can imagine he was teased and bullied. Naming a child can be a lot harder than you think.

7. kittyjj profile image72
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

The importance of naming a baby and how to find a perfect name for your baby. read more

working