jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How to get your kids interested in gardening?

1. sofs profile image81
    sofsposted 6 years ago

How to get your kids interested in gardening?

How do kids benefit from such activities?

2. sweetguide profile image61
    sweetguideposted 6 years ago

always ask help from your kids to participate in gardening activities. there is an interesting hub about  vegetable gardening

http://sweetguide.hubpages.com/hub/Firs … ble-garden

3. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 6 years ago

We are starting our family garden for the first time this weekend. My kids are young and therefore they love to help. We let them dig, plant seeds, pick their own vegetable to grow, and water. They are involved in the entire process. I think as they see us happy and excited about growing our own food they tend to adopt similar attitudes.

4. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

If this is your fist time, help them start plants from seeds before spring planting season. When it is warm enough, turn a small area of  the yard, or allow an area in your flower garden for these seedlings to grow.

5. TripleAMom profile image86
    TripleAMomposted 6 years ago

We love to have a small garden each year.  I take my kids with me to the store to buy the small plants or seeds that we use.  They choose some themselves to add to the garden.  We usually try tomatoes each year, peppers, strawberries (haven't done really well with this yet but still trying), and last year my daughter wanted to try a watermelon.  Sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't.  It's great to be able to show the kids from start to finish how a seed grows into a plant then the plant produces flowers and the flowers untimately turn into the fruit or vegies.  The kids love to check each day to see if anything has grown or if there's anything to pick.  My 12 year old wants to try her hand at her own space this year, so I'll see what I can do to help.  smile

6. annart profile image88
    annartposted 6 years ago

Involve them in what you do in your own garden.  Show them how it's done, explain why and explain the end result, including how good it is for things to grow as part of the whole life chain.  Children love helping and if they're interested in gardening when you do it, then encourage them as much as possible - it may be the start of a profitable landscaping career or an absorbing hobby!

working