jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you introduce weekly chores to a 5 year old?

1. Amy Gillie profile image85
    Amy Gillieposted 5 years ago

How do you introduce weekly chores to a 5 year old?

I want him to start having responsibilities around the house, but want to make it fun also.

2. profile image70
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hi Amy-

I suggest that you involve him in your daily routines.  Openingly expressing satisfaction and pleasure at the completion of important jobs.   I might, also, reward myself (and my helper) with something special (reading time together, food, play time, a walk, etc.).

Explaining that everyone has responsibilities, and as a bigger boy (girl) these are some of his.  Taking pride in one's accomplishments is a huge incentive.  Don't forget to say thank you.  Heck, he might even thank you for all the things he sees you doing.  Wouldn't that be something?

3. krillco profile image94
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

I think the best way is to encourage or invite them to help you with a simple chore, such as tossing clothes into the washing machine, or sweeping a floor. While doing the chore, you then chat about how it takes time and effort for things in the house to be nice, clean, and completed, and that everyone needs to help, that working together is fun and kind.

4. Ona Canady profile image61
    Ona Canadyposted 5 years ago

With my daughter I set up a sticker chart. She wanted more stickers and jumped up and started cleaning. After about 4 months I was able to get rid of the chart, she just picks up her room when I ask. You could do the same with the chores.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

make it fun, be sure it's something he's capable of doing, and let him know it's a matter of showing pride in his home/surroundings.  never use chores/work as a form of punishment, because he'll get the idea work is a bad thing.