jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Are you a HELICOPTER PARENT? If so, why?

1. the Teaching Doc profile image71
    the Teaching Docposted 5 years ago

Are you a HELICOPTER PARENT?  If so, why?

Helicopter parents hover over their children, swooping down at a moment’s notice to solve their problems for them.  Are they loving parents or developmental disablers?   Why do they complain to professors and administrators when their children struggle in college?  Is there a connection to the fact that their children seem unable, unwilling, or unmotivated to act as adults, take responsibility for their education, and solve their own problems?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6407671_f260.jpg

2. songbirdmom profile image60
    songbirdmomposted 5 years ago

My husband is & its because he thinks they are going to ruin something, break their arm or hurt themselves.  I think its just being over protective not realizing that they can do things on their own.

1. the Teaching Doc profile image71
      the Teaching Docposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Dear Songbirdmom,

I am sorry that you and your husband disagree.  If he would like to discuss this with an experienced college administrator who would eagerly offer some advice, I would be glad to do so.

2. songbirdmom profile image60
      songbirdmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ha Ha well thank you but he isn't around them enough for it to cause harm.  I am with them 24 - 7 and I've been teaching him...

3. Samantha Sydney profile image59
    Samantha Sydneyposted 14 months ago

id like to think that I am not, I know that in some cases I can be, but, as far as most of the time I am not.  I like to make sure they tried their hardest before I step in or what have you....

working