Why don't people care for their kids anymore??

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. igniter8503 profile image37
    igniter8503posted 10 years ago

Why don't people care for their kids anymore??

In today's world we see more parents not taking care of their kids the right way either ditching them with other people to take care of or no caring for them in general why do you think this???
    Their is more kids growing up in foster care or with grand parents now in today's time

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8497413_f260.jpg

2. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 10 years ago

While there are a myriad of factors, I lay the blame with the parents of those parents, at least for the people I know personally who have done this. I am 27, and will readily admit that the majority of my generation and those younger are raised with an overbearing entitlement mentality. People who are spoiled and self-centered don't have the room in their hearts for children. This may sound harsh, and certainly doesn't apply to all of them, but I do believe that's why there's a rising trend. Even at my age, I've already offered to take care of three different children within the extended family for my cousins who didn't want them. Two of those kids are now with their grandparents -- one still with her mother. That's in addition to my own three. I hate to be an enabler, but concern over the children's welfare won out.

If it were one of my kids who didn't want their kid, I'd offer to help teach them more hands-on parenting while they still do it themselves. Some of these people have told me that "I'm just not a good parent, the kid will be better off with my parents." They apparently don't realize that ALL parents feel that they're failing at some point, but they stick with it and learn as the kids grow. It's a sad trend, and one that I'd hope will eventually reverse for the sake of the newest generation -- character qualities in general are already on the decline.

3. Cre8tor profile image92
    Cre8torposted 10 years ago

Why do people feel that these type of problems are new? You say anymore as if this is something that never was. Have you ever read about how poorly children were treated throughout history? A parent who ditches a child is perhaps doing the best thing they will ever do for them. I am a father of 3 and when I think about the possibility of someone being forced or coerced into raising a child that they don't have the desire to raise, it scares me far worse than the one who walks away. At least that child has a chance. The fact that grandparents have become less involved in the raising of their children's children is actually a newer concept than that of the other. Go back 50 years and beyond and look at how many generations lived in the same home together.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Ok I am going to look at this from a different perspective. First, think about when you were a child. When I was growing up it wasn't uncommon for a child to spend their entire day outside with minimal supervision. Parents didn't need to ditch their kids anywhere because they could get hours upon hours of no children just by sending them outside.
    Official foster care did not exist prior to 1948. The rates between the number of foster children in foster care dropped by 20% between 1999 and 2009. So less children are actually entering the system each year. This doesn't minimize the problems though. I grew up in foster care so I know it sucked then and still does.
    People say this happens because not enough people spanked their children, that too many of our generation were spoiled. I completely disagree with that. My husband comes from a family that never spanked and all of the kids turned out wonderful. Their mother treated them with respect and kindness. Maybe if we taught all of our children to be kind and respectful we could change the next generation. Children are not possessions. It is our responsibility to help them turn into not just responsible adults but loving adults.

5. taliaskyone profile image59
    taliaskyoneposted 10 years ago

I believe not every parent these days are this way because I am a living example.  My Mom was extremely over protective and my Dad was just a complete butthead.  I would go further into that but from my life experience I chose to make the best decisions for my children and not be too protective and try to be caring and understanding.  But be stern when I need to be when it comes to learning lessons in life. 
    The reason why people don't care for their kids anymore is a complex question. And why I say that is because there could be the factor that is involved with these people that you are talking about that stems from childhood which would be  developmental problems and the reason for this is bad parenting from their parents.
    Also, in my opinion, there is the generation called Generation Y and this culture has an addiction to communication outlets such as Facebook and Twitter. This addiction has absorbed much of these parent's lives and even though they made the choice of beginning a family and posted every moment of news from the time of conception to the latest snack their kid has ate they do not have the knowledge and understanding of being a good parent.  But I have to say that it is not just the addiction to communication technologies that is to blame but you have to consider the underlying issues in these parents that made them this way.  I truly believe that every child mimics their parent's behaviors automatically even I sometimes notice myself acting dramatically over something I should be calm about and I blame that on my dysfunctional childhood.  So if they had a parent that had a bad temper or showed little to no affection or attention then I believe the chances of that behavior being repeated is pretty high.

6. thumbi7 profile image61
    thumbi7posted 10 years ago

I cannot say parents neglect children now a days especially in our country. I am a fortunate daughter of my parents who took great care of me. All aspects with great emphasis on nutrition, education and safety were taken care of.
    I do even better for my children. My children are never completely left with their grand parents although we have frequent visits to them.
    Looking around I can see all the families take utmost care of their children.

7. anod2013 profile image59
    anod2013posted 10 years ago

In my opinion this is because the parents are really love their career more than their children. Besides, looking for money is the main problem. Nowadays, everyone is looks more on material base.

8. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8515275_f260.jpg

This issue isn't a recent phenomena.  There were & are parents who routinely delegate their parental responsibilities, having others raise their children when they as parents should be assuming this responsibility.  This occurrence happens in all socioeconomic backgrounds.  There are wealthy parents who delegate the rearing of their children to nannies & au pairs.  There are parents who don't want their children because they cannot handle being parents or because they are TOO YOUNG to be effective parents, giving them to more responsible relatives to raise. There are parents who put their children in foster care &/or institutions because they KNOW that they wouldn't be capable &/or loving parents.  They feel that this is FAR BETTER than to raise unwanted children that they didn't want nor love in the first place.

Then there are parents of large/very large families who seldom interact w/their children but instead routinely relegate the raising of THEIR children to the OLDEST/OLDER children.  As we all know in large/very large families, OLDEST/OLDER children are the REAL parents.  The actual parents of large/very large families NEVER raise/parent their children but continuously have children because they KNOW that the OLDEST/OLDER children will RAISE them. Parents of large/very large families haven't been raising their own children for millennia-it is natural that they give such children to their oldest/older children to raise.  So parents having others raise their children has always occurred.

9. Alan Grace profile image61
    Alan Graceposted 6 years ago

It is not that they do not care for their children, but they think that they can buy more and more happiness from money. Hence they are busy in earning money and unable to pay much attention towards their children. If this is the case with you too just remember that every problem have a solution, dont just sit and ruin parenthood, instead enjoy with your little angels   https://goo.gl/VwEfcD

10. Syeda Aruba profile image60
    Syeda Arubaposted 6 years ago

There can be various reasons which apply to different types of parents.
    Neglectful parents don't care for their children because they don't give more importance to their children needs than their own needs.
    Those parents who want independent children don't want to over-indulge their children so they can make mistakes and learn from them and grow.
    Some parent just don't have the ability to care their kids (because of psychological or physical issues).
    Still other parents are just parents who understand that, at that particular time, by interrupting in their children issues, they may increase the emotional dilemma their children are facing. Most common example of such emotional dilemma which requires lack of care is tantrum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)