jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are the good old days really that good? Do you prefer the good old days to the

1. Rosie2010 profile image75
    Rosie2010posted 6 years ago

Are the good old days really that good?  Do you prefer the good old days to the present?

I was listening to Tim McGraw's song "Back When" and I found it amusing: "Don't you remember, The fizz in a pepper, Peanuts in a bottle, At ten, two and four, A fried bologna sandwich with mayo and tomato, Sittin' round the table, Don't happen much anymore... We got too complicated, It's all way over-rated, I like the old and out-dated Way of life..."  Well, what do you think?  Are the good old days really that good?

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

The good old days seem good to many since they remember them as kids. Life was simpler then and now life is a lot more complicated. Sometimes I wonder if the internet was a boom or bust. There's too much information and ways to get into trouble it would seem. of course this is all about perception of reality, isn't it?

3. teamrn profile image66
    teamrnposted 6 years ago

I have a blog and wrote about this very topic the other day. I prefer the good old days, as we (at least I) didn't hear about the pestilence, tsunamis, famines and malarial outbreaks. My parents did a pretty good job of shielding me from some harsh realities of life: while not sugar-coating the truth. Quite a hard line to follow.

Now, as an adult, I can't escape the realities by running to play in the neighbor's sandbox. I may be rebuilding my recently leveled home in Joplin, MO or grieving the loss of my husband in the twin towers. Children forget (sometimes). Adults don't. They can't escape responsibility; the BP oil spill wasn't their fault, but it sure ruined THEIR businesses.

4. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

the answer to this, is going to gather a large variety of opinions and commentaries......and it should, for , for each of us it is a different thing........

Yes, I remember walking to school and home again.........with no fear of being kidnapped, molested or otherwise accousted...................it was different for my children

I remember, hoping on the tractor and doing EXACTLY what my big brother told me to do..........because Granddad was ill, and still, the work had to go on.............my kids were required to have a " learner's permit" to learn to drive

As a kid, if I misbehaved in school ( never did, until High School, and I was tired of it all ), I would have in " trouble" both at school and again at home.    The neighbor's would rat you out1

I was hard on my kids, but their peers, skated by on the threat of " My parents will sue you"..............

I babysat all summer for 2 years, to buy my first car...........it cost a whopping $850.........the kids at the high school, next door to where I work are driving BMW's, Escalades and one drives a Lexus.......    no after school job will pay for either of those rides.

Way back then..........sure, I had far less..........worked harder, but I did not yet know that I needed a TV in every room, a swimming pool ( actually, I still have  neither)..................I felt safe, secure and I believed in the coming " tomorrow".......

Today, I wonder is the very next person that I chance to meet, going to be the one, who is on an emotional tantrum, and by sheer force, with no personal history with me.........is this the person, who will take my life?    Or my child's or my Grandchild's?

Yes, Rosie..............I would trade ALL conviences and surplusses, to just feel safe again............NO doubt.    There are already so many " gadgets" and " devices" that I have no real use for.............Give me peace in my home, my workplace, my neighorhood.   

I will be happy to feed the cow or pig in return for my keep!

5. viveresperando profile image72
    viveresperandoposted 6 years ago

My today is definitely way better than my yesterday.  I am grateful.

6. Unleashed Freedom profile image62
    Unleashed Freedomposted 6 years ago

as i ALWAYS say, today is my favorite day. its all i have!

working