jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Did you name your child because you liked the name itself or was the meaning imp

1. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

Did you name your child because you liked the name itself or was the meaning important too?

We chose our daughters names because we liked them but we would have changed them if the meanings had not also been appropriate.

2. samtebbutt profile image80
    samtebbuttposted 5 years ago

I chose my daughter's name for the meaning itself

3. sarmack profile image60
    sarmackposted 5 years ago

I did not name my daughter because of the meaning of her name. In retrospect, I see that the name is appropriate.  My mother did not like the name I had chosen and pretty much demanded that I change the first name to the one she wanted.  My intuition told me her middle was supposed to be named after me, so I looked through baby name books to find my first name under another language.  The middle name I gave my daughter was my first name changed from Hebrew to Irish. She was God's Gracious Gift to me.  Both of our first names are Hebrew because my father was a Godly man and He chose my name.

4. YvetteParker profile image74
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

When I was five weeks pregnant, I just knew (before any sonogram was ever done) that my baby was a son. I heard the name Zachary, which is a derivative of Zechariah (remembered of Jehovah). He'll soon be 24 and God is so faithful to remember and protect him no matter where he is and what he's doing.

5. kgarcia1113 profile image70
    kgarcia1113posted 5 years ago

My first husband and I couldn't agree on a name for our son for the longest time. It literally came down to filling out the birth certificate before he got his name.  I named him after a character in my all time favorite movie, "Gone in 60 Seconds."  Memphis was a great fit for my son, from the first time I saw the movie to signing his birth certificate I loved the name Memphis, even though it was only Cage's character's nickname. Now my son is 5 and knows he has a cool name. He tells me all the time.

6. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

I found my daughter's name in the Bible. It means "affection" in Hebrew. And it turns out...it's an accurate name for her. smile

7. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 5 years ago

a little bit of both. the meaning was the decision maker for me though

8. Made profile image60
    Madeposted 5 years ago

I named both my children because I liked the names. One of the names is quite common so I hesitated for a while, but then I thought that it doesn't really matter, because I really liked the name.

working