jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you explain or define "respect" to an eight year old?

1. tnderhrt23 profile image75
    tnderhrt23posted 5 years ago

How do you explain or define "respect" to an eight year old?

My eight year old grandson, Logan, told me this morning,"Gramma, I love you and respect you"...pause...
    " Gramma? What does respect mean?" It's kind of a complicated concept so I thought I would throw that one out there and see what you all have to suggest. Thanks!

2. lotuslove19 profile image70
    lotuslove19posted 5 years ago

To define respect you need to show respect to others in the family being polite and accepting or agreeing or showing regards to other.It could also be said that respect is a feeling of deep admiration or liking which is gained by ones abilities, qualities, or achievements and age .

3. arb profile image80
    arbposted 5 years ago

to an 8 year old? Its like being in a dark room and not being sure of what is there. Respect is what we feel for the light that takes away the dark. Grandmas come with exceptionally bright bulbs.

4. Faith Reaper profile image89
    Faith Reaperposted 5 years ago

It is very difficult sometimes to attempt to give the best answer whenever a child or grandchild asks one, and I can relate, as one of my granddaughters is only four years old, and she is already asking all kinds of questions.  I think what I would tell an eight year old is that respect is treating another person the same way you would want to be treated yourself!  And maybe adding that it also means thinking of how somebody else feels, and not making fun of others.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image99
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I've always tried to relate to children based on their experiences thus far. Think about how an 8 yr. old would expect to be treated by grown-ups, friends, and peers. Why are good manners and care about the feelings of others important?  Once a child grasps this concept , you could then go on to explain why elders, teachers, leaders, and our other role models should be shown respect.

6. starlynn1214 profile image61
    starlynn1214posted 5 years ago

Just tell your 8 year old grandson that " respect" is treating others the way you would want to be treated...that should make sense to everyone...even an 8 year old !

working