How do you deal with parenting/discipline, etc in a divorce situation with child

1. TripleAMom profile image86
    TripleAMomposted 5 years ago

How do you deal with parenting/discipline, etc in a divorce situation with children in two homes.

When children move between mom and dad's home regularly, how do you deal with discipline, parenting, decision making and other major issues?

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

I would not let my children tell me 'mom' or 'dad' punishes me this or that way. Just stick to your own methods though I hope, it's not  corporate punishment. Just methods that make the point to the child. Helps them learn the error of their ways even if repetition is required. I would have my children write lines, then ask once they were done, what did you write? why did you write? what did you learn? A parent should make a child 'see' their own actions while learning, there are consequences.

3. MissJamieD profile image72
    MissJamieDposted 5 years ago

Of course the logical answer is that ex-spouses should co-parent their children. They should keep the lines of communication open, ask each other advice in certain situations and keep any disciplinary action going whether they're with mom or dad.

If that cannot happen, which is very common these days, the only thing you can do is to teach your child your own morals and values and stick to them. Explain to them that dad/mom has different rules but in your house this is how it goes. Ultimately you want to be able to work together as parents, but if that's not a luxury of yours, stick to your guns.