My parents used to hit me as a child, but did that mean they were bad parents? I

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image51
    jez259posted 9 years ago

My parents used to hit me as a child, but did that mean they were bad parents? I got smacked across the face and all over my body.

2. Shil1978 profile image90
    Shil1978posted 9 years ago

My parents (especially my father) would sometimes hit me as a child. It is never a good feeling is it? I would feel awful and its not just the physical pain of it - emotionally too, you feel so down and depressed. My father would sometimes use his... read more

3. Kebennett1 profile image60
    Kebennett1posted 9 years ago

I do not believe a child ever deserves to be hit across the face and all over the body as you say. Now I do not see anything wrong with a swat on the bottom with your hand. I do not believe in using a belt, shoe, paddle, flyswatter or any other weapon. It a child can be disciplined without physical punishment it is best. discipline comes from discipleship, which means to teach. What you teach a child when you hit when you are upset with them, is to hit when they are upset with someone. Saying your parents were bad, it is hard to say, I was not there? Are you mentally/emotionally scarred? Physically scarred? If you are I would say YES. If YES is the answer, get counseling and do not pass on the abuse.  If not, then I would say not really bad but not very, they were still technically abusive, you are fortunate they did not hit hard and they were misinformed about how to discipline a child in the correct way. I do pray you are ok now.

4. Galadriel Arwen profile image74
    Galadriel Arwenposted 9 years ago

Terror used to control those who are weaker than you such as: hitting, threatening, whipping, burning, is a form of abuse. A rational person with a decent education and proper upbringing usually would know better than to abuse their child by using terror tactics as if they were prisoners of war.
    Children who experience this type of abuse need years of counseling because they grow up damaged. Everyone needs a safe place to grow. Look at the concentration camps and the children living in similar situations with daily terror. Children believe that there is something wrong with them.
    Yes you were abused. Your parents needed help to control their temper. Abuse to others weaker and smaller show brut ignorance [lack of education], lack of the capacity to love and no parenting skill understanding. Parenting skills education ought to be required!

5. view profile image69
    viewposted 9 years ago

I feel deeply for what has happened in your life and its impact, its just an outcome of lack of education, inability to control temper. A child must be protected against all these things by all of us as an individual or society.

Looking at such parents as an individual, we find that they are not able to overcome some problem in there life, a problem which causes so much frustration. Otherwise, I don't think any individual will like to hit a child.

Such instances are not good for any society and must be condemned.

6. Bikash jha profile image60
    Bikash jhaposted 9 years ago

I do think they were bad parents as their are other variety of ways to discline childrens although they choose something that leave deep bad impression on you mentally and physically. you still love them as you are confused  about whether they were good or bad parents. this is case of child abusing and good people dont abuse children so i know its hard for you but you have to accept they were bad parents+bad persons but it aint your fault so you need to worry and forget what happened with you and try to be a good child and better person unlike your parents.

7. bridanp profile image61
    bridanpposted 9 years ago

If you are asking this question, you probably already know the answer.  Bad parents probably....abusive parents, definitely.

8. profile image52
    Been There Tooposted 8 years ago

My mom used belts, and lilac switches-and other methods.

My dad? His fist.

I disagree with such tactics, but it sure did teach you there were immediate negative consequences for your actions.

9. MikeNV profile image80
    MikeNVposted 8 years ago

You already know the answer. What is the intention of this post?

10. Domela profile image60
    Domelaposted 8 years ago

I spanked my kids when they were little and I regret doing so, although I have no reason to think they sustained any lasting damage. You're really giving yourself a certificate of incompetence if the only way you can assert your authority is by (ab)using your physical power. Which, btw, is far more finite than you may think. Try hitting a 13-year-old who's half a head taller than you...

11. sikaruku profile image65
    sikarukuposted 8 years ago

I think all parents should learn to communicate to their children by other means other than hitting them. They were not good as far as parenting is concerned. If you teach your child that the only way you stop htem from doing wrong is by hitting them, you are driving them towards fear. they will fear you rather than respect you. And which parent prefers fear to respect?

12. leapea3 profile image56
    leapea3posted 7 years ago

I don't believe that makes them bad parents, however they may have crossed the line a little when it comes to physical discipline. I was spanked as well as a child, and once slapped across the face...but did I deserve to be? Yes, absolutely. When a parent has hit their breaking point with a child, sometimes they need a serious wake up call. As an adult, I can look back on this now and see that I was blatantly refusing to follow the direction of my mother and proceed to do what I wanted to do, and so I suffered the consequence. I believe this is a case by case thing.....but I definitely don't think that spaking your kids is child abuse. Maybe if people would stop and think about how well behaved kids were back when spanking was an acceptable form of punshment, they would see the monster that has been created here with regards to no physical punishment.

13. LeeWalls profile image62
    LeeWallsposted 4 years ago

They were abusive and you should've called 911. Parents need to quit in how they discipline a child. If they have a problem, don't take it out on someone that's vulnerable and defenseless. Shame on them and all those who do this! I hope you're better and don't you ever continue the cycle of abuse your parents gave you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)