jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)

Do you like your birth-given name, or are you embarrassed by it?

1. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 5 years ago

Do you like your birth-given name, or are you embarrassed by it?

As they say. What's in a name? If you didn't like the name you were given at birth, What would you change it to?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6653429_f260.jpg

2. Natashalh profile image94
    Natashalhposted 5 years ago

I like my first name, but I've never been thrilled with my middle name. I graduated from high school with a girl who was named Princess Diana. That was her 'first name.' And my mom works with a Lasagna, so I don't think I have too much to complain about!

3. momaoak profile image77
    momaoakposted 5 years ago

I love being named Alanna-even if it is never pronounced correctly. My middle name sounds a bit hick with my first name-Alanna Kaye-but it is a family name and I wouldn't change it for anything. My parents worked hard to find a name for me and I am proud of it.

4. craftybird profile image89
    craftybirdposted 5 years ago

I absolutely love my first name (Afton), but my maiden name was horrible so I couldn't wait to change it! big_smile I think a person's name really reflects who they are and who they'll become.

5. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I am comfortable with my name.  It is a typical of the time I was born, although I have seen some comeback lately.  My parents let my siblings name me.  I guess I have to thank them anyways.

6. 34th Bomb Group profile image60
    34th Bomb Groupposted 5 years ago

I'm very pleased with my given name, although this wasn't always the case. My first name, Patricia, is for my Dad's sister who died unexpectedly a few years before I was born. I'm "Patti" and that "i" still causes problems - too bad.
    My middle name is an old family name - Jennings. When I was a kid I hated it. Now? I love it. It's one of our Revolutionary War ancestors and it sure sounds nice when it's all put together: Patricia Jennings Starr. I didn't change it when I was married and I'll not change it from here on out. I'm proud of it.

7. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I do indeed adore my name; although when I tell others that my wife's name is Kate and my mother's name is Sara it causes significant issues especially for machines...

8. RoxiM profile image60
    RoxiMposted 5 years ago

I hated my first name when I was growing up. For one thing, everyone spelled it wrong. For another, there wasn't another Roxianne in the entire school. As an adult, I learned that (a) my name is an archaic French spelling of a Persian name, and (b) there are very few Roxianne-with-an-I's in the United States. We could get together for a reunion, and probably not fill a booth at Denny's. So now I kind of like it, although I still get annoyed when it's spelled wrong.

9. donabhatt profile image74
    donabhattposted 5 years ago

I love my name.......so much that even after marriage I din't change my surname. I feel my name suits my personality completely and it is a part of my identity.

10. ShalahChayilJOY profile image60
    ShalahChayilJOYposted 5 years ago

I don't like my birth given name but it's not because I am embarrassed by it. I just prefer a name that means  more to me. That's why I took a different name and want to get it changed legally when I can afford it.

11. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

My Name is Helen....I like it now, but when I was in Junior and Senior High school, I always wished that I had a different name....I wasn't embarrassed by it though.  As an adult, I do like my name, especially because it isn't super common.

When I named my four children, I gave them beautiful names, that they would love; and gave it a great deal of thought before choosing the names.

12. Darkmetaly profile image67
    Darkmetalyposted 5 years ago

yes i love my  first name Daníel but we here at Iceland don´t have a family name or a name that changes with marriage. we get our last name most of the time from our father (sometimes our mother). so if the fathers name is Svein then I would be Daníel Sveinsson (son = son)  or if it where a girl lets say Maria then it would be Maria Sveinsdóttir (dóttir = daughter) but my full name is Daníel Guðmundsson and I like it and would not want it any other way.

1. 34th Bomb Group profile image60
      34th Bomb Groupposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Any name that honors your parents or ancestors is a "good" name!

13. landscapeartist profile image76
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

I have to admit that I hated my given name while growing up.  I went to alot of schools as we moved around quite a bit, and I was the only 'Roberta' at every school I ever attended. 
    I wanted a name that would ensure I was lost in the shuffle.  I wanted to blend in like the 'Patricias' and 'Lyndas' and 'Margarets' did.   But, I wasn't so lucky.  If my name was mentioned, everyone knew who the person was.  They didn't have to ask what the last name name was.
    I wanted a different name and it didn't matter what it was.
    Now, I like my name.  My mom gave it to me and that's all that matters. 
    Thank you Mom!  I love you!

1. ComfortB profile image87
      ComfortBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you're finally at peace with your given name.

working