jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Should he be a Junior or should he have his own name to carry on?

1. milleramanda53 profile image79
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Should he be a Junior or should he have his own name to carry on?

When it comes to naming your first son, should he be a Junior or should he have his own name to carry on?

2. Hazzabanana8 profile image78
    Hazzabanana8posted 5 years ago

All comes down to the parents opinion really.
    Then again, if sons continually change their name, it would be pointless as no name would be continued and it would have no significance.

3. mikicagle profile image91
    mikicagleposted 5 years ago

Why not do both? Give him his fathers name-then a really cool middle name he can use if he chooses to? My husbands name is Phillip after his estranged father but he goes by his middle name-Christopher. I really wish we would have name our son Christopher as well-but we named him Rhett (my choice). His name is unique but we could have used it for a  middle name too and stilled named him after his father. As it is he is embarassed of his middle name Morgan-that was his dads contribution by the way!!

4. kingmaxler profile image60
    kingmaxlerposted 5 years ago

I cannot tell you which is better, but I can tell you that carrying the Jr. at the end of a boy's name has repercussions that can be good and can be difficult. My own opinion is that you wouldn't put Jr. on the end of a daughters name, so as a sign of rebellion, I would not grace a son with that either. A name carries a legacy with it and definitely needs careful consideration. Please never give a child a name that can be easily ridiculed. Even the middle name and the initials will be used to create nicknames that can be harmful. If your goal is for your son to follow in his dad's footsteps then by all means give him the name of the father. You connect them more deeply when they have the same name. Take care, good luck and congratulations on taking on the responsibility of parenting.

1. mikicagle profile image91
      mikicagleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You can ridicule just about any name. My son's name is Rhett-kids called him cigarette and tourettes. My daughter's name is Kirsten-they called her queersten.

5. LouTucci profile image77
    LouTucciposted 5 years ago

Oh boy...man, is this a touchy subject! Having been in the same boat...
    After having 2 girls, my wife came home from the dr. and announced that it was a boy! After freaking out for a few days, I started to think of a name. You see, I didn't want him to have the same first name as me  - I wanted him to have his own identity. BUT, when my father asked me what his name was going to be - and I told him what I just mentioned here? He flipped out and said? What do you mean you want him to have his own identiy? What did I ever do to you? You don't  have your own identity? What about all those times I helped you with this and that, etc, etc, etc! I said I'm sorry pop, I'm sorry! So, I ended up giving my son my name (as I'm sure you've guessed by now - is also my dad's first name) as his middle name! Phew!

6. forlanda profile image81
    forlandaposted 5 years ago

I personally don't like seeing "Jr" on any name.  The current naming scheme and how people are used to seeing them don't really fit well with suffixes like "Jr".

On top of that, when referring to a person with a "Jr" in their name, you almost always have to qualify who it is you are referring to.  It just makes for confusing conversation sometimes.

More importantly, each person is really unique.  Even each person in a twin pair or triplet group, are unique from each other in terms of inner character.  Since no two person are the same, wouldn't it seem that a unique name would be appropriate to match?

Hey, I just answered a question with another questions!

7. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

it's a matter of personal preference, but I think a child should have his own name & identity. 
    a tradition that I like is naming a child "for" someone, but it being a variation of the name, not the same one.  an example is my son's middle name is Daniel, which is a variation of my father's, great-grandfather's, and brother's middle name: Dan. 
    that way you can honor a family member while still giving the child his own identity.

8. JoanCA profile image87
    JoanCAposted 5 years ago

I think each child should have their own name. I see no reason to name a child after someone else. I don't even see the point of carrying on a name. My eldest brother was named after both our father and grandfather. He decided not to have kids. That's ended the whole carrying on thing.

working