Cloth diapering: what's on your pros and cons list?

1. vdubhaus profile image59
    vdubhausposted 5 years ago

Cloth diapering: what's on your pros and cons list?

Tell me the good, the bad, and just plain stinky sides you have experienced when using cloth diapers.

2. sadie423 profile image92
    sadie423posted 5 years ago

I have used disposables with 4 babies and cloth with 1 (currently using cloth).

I find cloth easier in almost every way. I did not go for the expensive brands- I went fairly cheap and have been happy with the quality and I don't feel like I spent a ton of money on them, so I definitely feel like I save money not having to buy diapers all the time.

Washing them could be a chore for some, but I haven't found that I feel like I have extra work to do with that aspect.

I like not adding to the landfill with things that won't decompose.

Purely breastfed babies are the easiest to wash with no rinsing before hand. Once they start solids you have to flush the poop first, which most of the times is fine, but certain diapers are worse than others.

I had no trouble for the first 12 months- until we moved to a home with spring water instead of city water- so it's hard water- and I am fighting stink and build up now. I have to rinse them more, strip them more often and they stink when wet. Hopefully adding a softener will fix that.

3. AustralianNappies profile image77
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

I like the idea of them, but disposable diapers are much more convenient for me. Especially when out shopping, on day trips etc.  I like the convenience of being able to dispose of them and with so much already to do when you have a bub, I don't like the idea of extra washing.  So for me using disposable diapers (We call them Nappies here in Australia) are my choice due to their convenience.

working