jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever missed attending a major event for your child that they won't forg

1. landscapeartist profile image78
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

Have you ever missed attending a major event for your child that they won't forgive you for?

Today my daughter celebrates graduation from college.  She successfully gets her diploma/certificate for 'Drug and Addictions Councellor' and I cannot make it.  My car is needing 2 tires and a rim, and will not make the 3-4 hour drive to the college.  So, here I sit alone and crying because I let my child down.  She is upset and will not talk to me.  Will she eventually forgive me?

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

She wants you there because you matter to her. You still matter to her, she is just also at the moment hurt. It will pass and you will continue to matter to her.

You didn't let her down. Your car let you down. There is a big difference. If she studied to be a Councellor, than she should know as well as anyone the hiccups of life that sometimes keep us from what we want.

It was a special day, but then every day is special and there will be many more special events to come. Maybe you can do something extra nice for her in the coming days.

landscapeartistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you junkseller for yor comment.  This moment in her life makes me so proud, and I so wanted to be there.  I spent all day trying to find tires and rims that I could afford on my earnings, but now to find a garage to put them on cheap.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

One her initial hurt is over, I believe she will forgive you.  She sounds like a very reasonable young woman who will eventually understand that you were a victim of circumstance.  Forgive yourself, you did not let her down.

Why not sit down and write her a heartfelt letter about how proud you are of her and how upset you are that you could not attend.

landscapeartistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank You duffsmom.  I was just thinking about doing just that when I read your comment.  I am going to do that right now.

4. QudsiaP1 profile image60
    QudsiaP1posted 5 years ago

If she just received a certificate that certifies her to be a councellor than by that logic she should quickly be able to forgive you understanding that your reason for not showing up was not intentional but simply accidental. Do not worry, she is a grown up young lady, who loves her mother irrespective. Just give her the initial cool off period and everything will be fine.

5. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

Well, you know, look how often you HAVE been there for her while she was growing up.  She graduated college, so, you did a lot of somethings right.

How many times did she let YOU down when she was a teen?  I know, it's part of growing up...  But seriously?  People will let her down throughout HER life too, and sure, it's a rude awakening, but, this is a good lesson for her to learn, because it's something she will have to get used to as life goes on.

It's not like you forgot, or purposefully skipped out on her.  You're having car troubles, and in this economy, difficult to fix.  When she realizes that you couldn't have made the trip w/o risking your own safety, she will understand.  She may not forgive you now, but, she will come around.

Your daughter is beautiful.  smile  Congrats on a great job raising her successfully into adulthood!