Would you consider homeschooling or an online charter school for your child?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. celeste inscribed profile image89
    celeste inscribedposted 11 years ago

Would you consider homeschooling or an online charter school for your child?

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't.  I had just about the best parents anyone could have ever, and I absolutely loved being with my mother; but I think of how much I also loved being able to get out of the house, have my own "separate life" (and friends and social life, and even responsibilities of school work) away from home; and, to me, I would have felt as if I were confined and smothered if I'd never been able to have that outside life.  I would feel as if I'd missed so much of "normal life" if I hadn't gone to school.

I was a public-school kid, and my own three kids went to public school too.  (My husband and I did have a choice.)   I have had my "axes to grind" with some things that go on with/in the public school system, but I think it's important for people (including children) to figure out how to make things work for them.  If something like the public school can't work for one child and one reason or another, I think my next choice would be to look for a different school - not to keep my child home with me.

There were things that I thought my own children weren't getting enough of in the public school system, so I aimed to supplement those things by offering activities /books at home (without making it seem like school).  To me, what they WERE getting from attending school outside the home were every bit as important as some of the academic material/challenges they weren't getting at school.  I don't think so much in terms of the social aspects of school - just the whole picture that includes a certain type of autonomy for children, but also that includes some things that, maybe, kids need to learn to deal with/work with even if things aren't as perfect as they, or a parent, would generally prefer.

I just think that there's so much more that children gain from attending school outside home (and that a lot of people don't even realize they got from attending school), it's not really possible to replicate the childhood-long experience if the child doesn't actually have it.  Imperfect or not, school provided something to my kids that only attending school can - so imperfect or not, the schools are something I'm grateful to for contributing such important experience to my children's childhoods and teen years.  BUT, I know a whole lot of people would disagree with my thinking.  That's fine too.   hmm

celeste inscribedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lisa HW,  I think it is different for every family. We are with a virtual academy. We attend school from home but we have teachers etc Our social contact is outside school every afternoon and we have school field trips. Thank you for your answer

3. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

I home schooled all three of my children. My sons started being home schooled because one of them had a teacher who couldn't keep track of the homework for long enough to get it counted as turned in. She failed 1/2 the kids in her class that year and the only reason she did not fail my son is because when we found out what was going on, we took the matter up with the principal. He turned his papers in to the asst. principal the rest of that year and then the asst. principal gave them to the teacher. If any of those got 'lost', he got an automatic A. They could not fire her because she had tenure.
    My daughter started being home schooled because the teacher was bullying her. There is a point when you have to say, I am not going to allow you to abuse my child any more. We found out later that she has a learning disorder, which was the teachers whole problem with keeping her on task. If she had been paying attention, she would have noticed it. My daughter is doing very well now and has lots of other kids she gets with. She also does not have a teacher telling her that she is stupid and lazy.

This brings tears to my eyes Becky because we had a similar experience with bullying after my son started wearing glasses. He was so unhappy at school. We are in our second year with a virtual academy and he is a happy go lucky thriving little man.

4. BMWoodfolk profile image61
    BMWoodfolkposted 11 years ago

I homeschool my children and I do use online sources, but I do not use the charter schools. We checked in to a few in the past and they were extremely expensive. One of them cost as much as one of the private schools in my area.

Hi BMWWoodfolk. We are with a charter school in our State that operates under the wing of K12.com. Perhaps check with K12 to see if they sypport a public online charter in yours. We don't pay anything as a full time student with WAVA here in WA.

2. BMWoodfolk profile image61
      BMWoodfolkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Celeste. K12 is actually the program that cost too much here. That's okay, though, because we truly enjoy the way we homeschool and I wouldn't have it any other way now that we have learned exactly how to teach them.

3. celeste inscribed profile image89

Oh that's too bad but I am happy you found something that works for you .

5. MargaritaEden profile image68
    MargaritaEdenposted 11 years ago

My child "attends" online public school, I was not considering homeschooling until she went to 1st grade and after a month of going to public school she refused to go, she was crying everyday when getting ready for school, crying on the way to school and crying at school, it's just got to the point of unbearable, and I had to take her out. Turned out she has sensory processing disorder, school was just too overwhelming for her, with so many kids, so many different noises, lights, smells, her nervous system just couldn't process all of that sensory input.

Hi MargaritaEden, We chose an online school because my son becomes overwhelmed in a classroom environment. He can not focus with all the distraction. His eyes are light sensitive and he would get headaches with the lighting in a classroom.

2. MargaritaEden profile image68
      MargaritaEdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like my daughter, was he ever diagnosed with SPD?

3. celeste inscribed profile image89

Hi, no we haven't had him evaluated as yet but since he is doing so well now we may just see how we progress. Thank you for the suggestion though.

6. adjkp25 profile image88
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

Both of our kids were home schooled when we moved to our area about 8 years ago.  Our son is now a sophomore at the charter high school across the street and besides getting straight A's he just got the highest PSAT score the school has seen.

Part of his curriculum is online but some of it is on campus.

Our daughter is in he last year of the K-8 program where the majority of her school work is done from home.  She also does well on the tests.

A big part of their success is my wife is a great teacher and they all work together well.  Everyday isn't roses by any stretch but they do what they need to do.

It is not ideal for every family and it takes hard work from the parent and the student but it can be very positive.

I completely agree with you that it is a full time job but for us it is paying off. Thank you for answering my question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)