jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Should I save money for my kids or go on holidays?

1. Damodar Bashyal profile image70
    Damodar Bashyalposted 5 years ago

Should I save money for my kids or go on holidays?

My parents did hard work & didn't go on holiday much. They saved their income & it helped me  & my siblings to have a good education & life.Now, we have a kid & planning more. World has changed a lot and we have so less friends & relatives in comparison to our parents. It makes our life more stressed because our life revolves around work, work & work only. So, should we follow our parents & give our kids good education & life or we look after ourself and try to enjoy life by going on holidays and parties? We are saving for kids and will continue unless someone changes our mind :-)

2. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

Spend some money and give your children great family memories by taking them camping every year ,( Cheap but fun way to have a family holiday ) take time to relax & unwind as a family . Wouldn't it be sad if you worked so hard & was so stressed that you didn't last .
    They will have a good life if you are less streesed and make the time to be with them as much as possible .

Damodar Bashyalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks freecampingaussie. I never thought about that. Thank you.

3. houseofjcjee profile image77
    houseofjcjeeposted 5 years ago

You can create two separate accounts for your children's education and family vacation. I got this idea while reading various finance blogs -- an account for every purpose, whether for short-term or long-term goal.

That's a good idea. Thank you.

4. Jean Rogers profile image82
    Jean Rogersposted 5 years ago

I choose to save for my kids. We don't take amazing vacations (have never been to Disney or out of the country), but we take fun trips around our state. We go camping, hiking, pack our bikes and ride in new places, and just do activities that aren't very expensive. We even drove around the country for a month camping out as we went. We were gone a month with our 2 year old and I was pregnant. We spent less than $1500 that whole month. We would have spent around that staying home and buying the normal things like gas, groceries, etc.  I don't think you have to spend a ton of money to make memories, and giving your kids a chance to go to college is a great gift.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion Jean. It's always good to know something from experienced people. Thanks a lot.

working