jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the average weight of a newborn baby?

1. nmdonders profile image82
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

What is the average weight of a newborn baby?

A newborn human baby smile

2. Janine Huldie profile image88
    Janine Huldieposted 5 years ago

I have 2 girls.  My older daughter was only 5 lbs 15ozs at birth and was term, but just small and at 3 years old is still petite and small for her age.  My younger was 7 lbs 2 ozs at birth and has always been average weight for her age.  So I think average for girls is between 7-8 lbs.

3. profile image70
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

According to the Baby Center:  (I believe this is for US babies.  Weights may vary by country)

38-42 week averages.

38 weeks

19.61 inches

6.80 pounds

49.8 cm

3083 grams

39 weeks

19.96 inches

7.25 pounds

50.7 cm

3288 grams

40 weeks

20.16 inches

7.63 pounds

51.2 cm

3462 grams

41 weeks

20.35 inches

7.93 pounds

51.7 cm

3597 grams

42 weeks

20.28 inches

8.12 pounds

51.5 cm

3685 grams

4. kj force profile image71
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

average weight over the years has increased...it's anywhere from 8lbs-10lbs...due women eating better food and excercising..taking prenatal supplements..better maternity healthcare...it's nothing though to give birth to a 13 lb baby these days....

5. ThePracticalMommy profile image95
    ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago

The average weight of a newborn baby born at 40 weeks is around 7lbs in the U.S. Yes, many babies are born at heavier weights, but this has not made the average go up, because there are just as many babies born with lower birth weights.

The baby's weight at birth usually has nothing to do with the mother's eating habits unless a) she is starving herself (but even then the baby will get nutrients from whatever is stored in the mom's body) or b) she has gestational diabetes.

6. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

I am not certain, but I think the average weight of a newborn is about 7 pounds.
    My oldest and youngest daughters both weighed 7 lbs, and my other daughter and my son both weighed about 9 lbs.