This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is a newborn baby a person?

1. CM Sullivan profile image78
    CM Sullivanposted 6 years ago

Is a newborn baby a person?

Does a baby have the 5 traits that define personhood, therefore making it a "real" person? 1.Conciousness. (of objects and events external/internal to the being) 2.Reasoning. (developed capacity to solve new and relatively complex problems) 3.Self-motivated activity.(activity which is relatively independent of genetic/direct external control). 4.The capacity to communicate.(on indefinitely many possible topics). 5.Self-awareness, self-concepts.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6565105_f260.jpg

2. Farasucan profile image79
    Farasucanposted 6 years ago

Come on man, you must be kidding.  Of course, a person is a human being and a baby is an undeveloped person, even at conception.  A human being goes through phases that begin in its mother's womb.  So even in the womb a baby is a person.  I believe anyone who aborts an infant who is in its mother's womb is guilty of murder because that infant is a person.

3. Sparklea profile image74
    Sparkleaposted 6 years ago

I agree with Farasucan:  A newborn baby is a person...everything you mention the baby has to develop over time.  I also agree with Farasucan that, even in the womb, a baby is a person.  Everything that is born has to grow and develop over time...Like I said in another hub, which you commented on, I am amazed at nature and the process of how things develop...Extremely fascinating to me.  I think the gift of life is just that...a gift.

Blessings, Sparklea smile

1. CM Sullivan profile image78
      CM Sullivanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was trying to get some reactions to a recent ruling by medical ethicists. Too much for a question so I made it a hub. Thanks for your answers! This question is now closed.

Closed to reply

working