jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is there such a thing as post parental depression?

1. whittwrites profile image79
    whittwritesposted 5 years ago

Is there such a thing as post parental depression?

I am a father whose children are grown, and all but one gone. I am feeling a little blue so I wanted to know if anyone else out there feels the same way.

2. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

I believe what you are experiencing is commonly referred to as, "Empty Nest Syndrome"... *sigh* My oldest is 13, but in just 5 years, she'll be graduating and off to college... When I think how quickly these past 13 years went, the reality of how quickly the next will pass is almost numbing.

I hope you find comfort soon. smile

3. lambservant profile image95
    lambservantposted 5 years ago

I had four boys. They are all grown and three have families of their own. Because of how spread out my first three were from my fourth, I didn't grieve their loss when they left home that much because my fourth was just a little guy and my hands were full with a divorce. I didn't go through that empty nest except really with my youngest, but he moved in with dad at age 12 (though he he visited with me regularly) and so it just wasn't that hard.

I have several friends now whose children have finally flown the coop this year and they are very  blue too.

It's a loss and it's okay to be blue. Make the best of your time left with your remaining child and visit with the others often if you can. Find new things to do. I have found a great amount of joy with volunteering at church and community things and being a grandmother rocks. I focus on giving away to others the things God has blessed me with and I feel good about that.

4. prektjr.dc profile image87
    prektjr.dcposted 5 years ago

Oh yes!  Empty Nest syndrome is very real!!  I had small brushes with it when my oldest two children moved out, but the remaining children kicked me back into life and i put it all on the back burner!  When the last child moved out however...I fell flat!  I expected a bit of the blues, but the empty room was a black hole!  I wrote a hub about it even!  I will tell you it gets better.  Look for something to keep you busy and make intentional plans to spend some time with your children.  Each one.  It will help.. i promise,  Then when one moves back home...for whatever reason, then you soak up every minute, make memories and enjoy having them there.  One last thing....when they move back out....Enjoy!  You may have decided that finally you kind of liked your quiet!!  Good luck and God bless!  Hang in there!

5. Juls2 profile image61
    Juls2posted 5 years ago

Mine are 15 now (twins), so still some schooling to finish, but I am looking forward to getting my own life back again.  I'm not saying things won't be a bit empty and strange when they first leave the nest, it is something though we all know would happen. 

I say, rejoice in the fact you have done wonders, raising your children to become independent adults.  After all, that is our job.  As the others have said, look now at what you'd like to do with all this extra time you've on your hands.  Let your children be as interested in hearing about your day as you will be of theirs when chatting.

Change, we all need time to adjust.

6. meloncauli profile image96
    meloncauliposted 5 years ago

Hi. This can be a very depressing time for some people. It has something of a separation anxiety to it also. Dependent upon your age, this sometimes arrives around the midlife crisis time. When our children fly the nest we feel somewhat redundant and of course miss their company. You have one left at home so enjoy! Our children are our children, no matter where they are or what they are doing! You will always be a father.

7. whittwrites profile image79
    whittwritesposted 5 years ago

I had never thought of empty nest syndrome. It feels weird with an almost empty house. You take so long to raise your children and then boom, they are gone. I just heard of a couple who separated because after their children were gone they found they had nothing in common.

8. profile image56
    kumar24894posted 5 years ago

I'm still a child of 17 , but I will never ever leave my parents . Not in my dreams too.