jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what age would you leave your child home alone?

1. Marc Rohde profile image71
    Marc Rohdeposted 5 years ago

At what age would you leave your child home alone?

I was reading an article on a well known parenting site that talked about children at home alone answering the door and the age range in the was much, much lower than I would ever consider.  I'm curious what your thoughts are on when a child can be a "latch key kid" or be left home during grocery shopping or short errands.

2. MargaritaEden profile image73
    MargaritaEdenposted 5 years ago

I would think around 12, depending on the child's maturity.

3. teyeger82 profile image78
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the individual child. My 13 year old is staying home this summer. The concerns I had were safety issues and boredom. The boredom was easy as I have some neighbors that are helping with rides to athletic activities and such. As for the safety issues, there are strict rules about what can occur in the house and who can come in the house. One friend may come in at a time and that is not just any friend, it is ones I know. He is allowed to go to the neighbors but he cannot camp out there. There are also rules about keeping the garage shut and with regard to answering the door. I call every couple of hours to check on him and he knows he better answer the phone!

4. Marc Rohde profile image71
    Marc Rohdeposted 5 years ago

You ages are much more reasonable, the one site I was reading was referring to 5 and 8 year olds!  I have one child of each age and couldn't imagine leaving them alone to walk further than my car in front of the house.

I did find an interesting site with some of the state and local laws regarding what ages you can legally leave you child unattended.  In states were there are laws they seem to concur with 10 and up (with a couple exceptions).

http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-k … limits.htm

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 weeks ago

To be alone for an hour, 10 years of age.  The minimum age to leave a child home alone for a long period of time is 13.  Hopefully by that age, the child is familiar w/the household & knows what to do in emergencies.   Also h/she is in his/her teens & looks forward to being alone.  At that age, the fear is GONE.

working