jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How can I relieve ear pressure when flying with my baby who has a cold?

1. Mari Koeck profile image60
    Mari Koeckposted 5 years ago

How can I relieve ear pressure when flying with my baby who has a cold?

2. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

you can't, it will be really painful when coming down to land. Hurts real bad.

3. Julie DeNeen profile image86
    Julie DeNeenposted 5 years ago

Well I have some tips for what I did, though I'm not sure how many you can do for a baby sad

I took an antihistamine and decongestant. I also blew my nose constantly. I chewed gum.

I also took a cup of very hot water. I placed the cup right up against my ear (turning my head to the side) and let the steam go up to my ear, relieving the pressure.

4. Melovy profile image96
    Melovyposted 5 years ago

My husband is a pilot and says the best thing to do is give the baby something to suck on - feed your baby or give him or her a pacifier/dummy. The sucking action relieves the pressure: that's why some airlines used to give out boiled sweets for take-off and landing.
    I can't guarantee you baby won't feel any pressure, but this will definitely help. Our older daughter often flew as a baby and I don't remember any problems.

1. Mari Koeck profile image60
      Mari Koeckposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! We flew this morning and between feeding and the pacifier, he seemed to do pretty well. He still cried, but the sucking definitely helped.

working