jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How long would you nurse?

1. rachellrobinson profile image81
    rachellrobinsonposted 5 years ago

How long would you nurse?

Okay Mom's, how long should you breastfeed? 6 months, 12, 18, 24? More less? I'd like to get an idea of what the average Mom believes is a good amount of time to nurse.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I've heard from several Women that around 6 months should be sufficient.

3. Luxor profile image73
    Luxorposted 5 years ago

With both my kids I planned to nurse for about a year; my first child weaned himself by 9 months and my second is only 6 weeks old, so we'll see how far we get.

Having said that, I think nursing for 6 months is a worthy goal and should be applauded. I've been very lucky in that nursing has been relatively easy with both kids and I know that many women struggle with it.

4. Meg Moon profile image83
    Meg Moonposted 5 years ago

I Know it's controversial and ultimately I don't care how long others want to nurse for but I will aim to do 12 months but then I'll stop- I might give breast milk expressed for longer but it's the actual act of breastfeeding an older child I'm uncomfortable with. Also after a year they can drink cow's/goat's milk etc. I would get a bit freaked out at seeing anyone over 2 nursing I think- and if you look at the example set nature, which is usually a good place to start, animals don't nurse past infancy.

5. breathe2travel profile image78
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

I have read from many sources that 12-18 months is optimum.  At least 6 weeks for colostrum.  I nursed my children from 10 months upward. Our pediatrician is amazed at how healthy they are.  My four year old never needed an antibiotic until this week -- which was the first prescription any my children have had in over 4 years, except for a stool softner about 3.5 years ago for my second oldest.

We are expecting our sixth child in the spring, and I plan to nurse him or her at least one year.  I do not soley nurse that long, adding rice cereal and other foods as the baby grows and requires more calories and solid foods.

According to American Pediatrics, babies benefit greatly and they recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life.  Furthermore, they encourage, "Breastfeeding should be supported by your physician for as long as it is the right choice for you and your baby."

For more information from American Pediatrics, please visit the Source: http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/faqsb … eding.html

6. Sharkye11 profile image94
    Sharkye11posted 5 years ago

I had a rocky start to I made my goal 3-6 months. It got better and we are almost completely weaned at 15 months. At six months she started eating solids and taking expressed milk from a cup. Sot it has not been constant nursing.

I would think though if you could do that first month, it would give the baby a great start, and after that decide if nursing is right for you.

working