jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should the parents or guardians carry the school bag of their child?

1. shampa sadhya profile image82
    shampa sadhyaposted 5 years ago

Should the parents or guardians carry the school bag of their child?

Usually it is a very common scene that the parents or the elders carry the school bags while the child goes to school and comes back from school. Do you consider it to be a right thing to do? Explain with reason.

2. Mom Kat profile image83
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

I think it's a cultural thing.  Where I'm from I've never seen a parent carry a child's books for them unless they have a really long walk and the books are too heavy.  Around here the kids have a backpack and take the bus.  Even the kids who live close enough to the school to walk carry their own backpacks. 

My middle daughter broke her arm a few weeks ago, so she has a full arm cast on right now.... she is still capable of slinging her backpack over her shoulder. 

It isn't a matter of right or wrong so much as culture, individual family, and personal choice.  Whatever works best for you.  Everyone has different reasons for why they do the things they do.

3. algarveview profile image90
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

Well, here we don't see that, each child carries its own bag... As a child I always carried my bag, my mom never helped out with that and bear in mind that I was quite a small child and the bag was always filled with tons of books, I remember itwas hard carrying all that weight. Anyway, I think it is okay for a child to carry its own bag, after all it's important she gets used to being responsible for and gets used to doing her own things, because that's just how life is...

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I've never seen that.  My kids carried their own stuff and so do my grand kids.  If I pick them up from school and the have an extra project or something, I will help carry it.

5. abbykorinnelee profile image74
    abbykorinneleeposted 5 years ago

I am sure this is probably a cultural thing.  And in this society being so individualistic we teach and push independence at a young age.  HOWEVER, I carry my preschool child's bag into the class.  I take it out of school and into the car he brings it in the house to learn where to put it.  My autistic son likes carrying it on his back the weight is comforting.  But when we walk I will carry it as he gets hot and uncomfortable.  If he asks I will take it.  I put them in the bottom of strollers.  My oldest even asks me sometime and he is thirteen and I will carry it for him if I feel that situation warrants it.

Our kids have to grow up so fast as it is and I find in all honesty that things get less lost and have to be rebought when I am the guardian of the item:)

working