jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do we have the right to refuse immunizations for ourselves and our children in a

1. Joan Calvin profile image60
    Joan Calvinposted 5 years ago

Do we have the right to refuse immunizations for ourselves and our children in a free society?

2. Mom Kat profile image80
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

If you refuse immunizations for your children, once they are in school you are forced to sign a waver stating that you refused shots due to religious beliefs.  Failure to sign this paper will result in the child not being accepted to attend the school.

So, if you're up for a big hassle every year, yes, we still have the right... sort of.  They just make it a big pain in the butt.

Also, I've known jobs that require you to be current on your shots, failure to have them will result in you not getting certain jobs.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Yes, we have the right, but is it wise? I don't know the answer to that as there are a lot of different opinions on it.

4. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

Generally you don't have the right but their are exceptions.  For example some people get out of it because of their religious beliefs.  However we have immunizations to protect society.  When something like that is done to protect society everyone should do it.  At least that is my opinion.  Lets say you don't immunize yourself because there is a very small chance something bad will happen.  Why should everyone else take the risk and not you?  The only reason it is relatively safe for some people not to be immunized is because most of the population is immunized.

If it was not for immunizations a lot of people would get sick and die.  It is a free society but they want to protect it.  There are laws. People can leave if they don't want to follow them.