jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what age do you start to teach children about the holocaust?

1. LilaDaley profile image64
    LilaDaleyposted 5 years ago

At what age do you start to teach children about the holocaust?

2. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 5 years ago

When they are pre-teens when they are old enough to understand what the holocaust was all about.  It's a hard thing to swallow for sure and it should definately be taught to our children so it doesn't happen ever ever again.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

That is a really good question that I have yet to figure out. Since my dad is a war nut, he taught me when I was 6. That was my first time to the WW2 museum in New Orleans. We were visiting for my grandfather's participation in an event there and to pick up some bricks with his old friend's names on them who died in the war. It's actually caused me to be pretty knowledgeable about the Holocaust and I continued to study the war throughout my high school years.

4. tksabresinos profile image62
    tksabresinosposted 5 years ago

My little sisters know about Hitler and they are in middle school, but I don't think they understand quite yet the massive impact of the holocaust.

5. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

I personally remember learning about WW2 and the Holocaust in grade 6, when I read Number the Stars.  I think I had heard of it earlier, but didn't know much about the topic.  I think it can be introduced in general terms to younger children.  I also think you need to take the environment where you live in to consideration - if you live in an area with a large Jewish population or a large European immigrant population it is possible your child will be going to school with people who learned about the Holocaust at a younger age or through family stories passed down from grandparents or great-grandparents who were survivors themselves.  In that case, it might be appropriate to discuss the Holocaust with your child at a younger age in case it is brought up in discussion.

working