What is racism?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

"Today, racism is regarded as a crime if practiced by a majority--but as an inalienable right if practiced by a minority. The notion that one’s culture is superior to all others solely because it represents the traditions of one’s ancestors, is regarded as chauvinism if claimed by a majority--but as 'ethnic' pride if claimed by a minority" -Ayn Rand

Opinions?

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that she is incorrect.  Racism is intolerance of anothers race, ethnic 'pride' and cultural practices are common to everyone.  So when she talks about 'one's culture being superior' she is blurring the boundary between race and culture and then commenting as if they were the same thing.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With respect, I think Rand was using sarcasm.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard an eloquent black man say many years ago--"Prejudice is like the wind. You can't see it, but you can feel it."

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a kernel of truth in what Rand said. But she said a lot of other things that didn't make sense. Objectivism was a crackpot philosophy, a revival of long-discredited social Darwinism, and her novels were populated by cardboard cutout characters designed to propagate her so-called philosophy. A small group of her followers meets every Thursday in a restaurant near where I live.

2. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Fear of the unknown, based on information fed to that person, whether family or media or religious beliefs.

I am certainly not of any authority to call racist people ignorant selfish and hateful pigs, so I best not.

And no culture is excluded, we must remember a race of people is is a culture only defined by the heritage they grew to be part of, so those who judge others, fire away, nobody is listening anymore.  But harm someone else you should be harmed back.  This is why firearms are so handy.

OK Wry think my rant is done

whew

ok

breath

c u in bit

ok

whew

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha, want some water?

3. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Double standards will probably explain the biginning of racism

4. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

I have never understood the meaning of racism and don't want to either.I cannot understand why a human being is against another and what makes one superior the other.
    Just praying we are safe wherever we go.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Wry,

I wrote a hub on the continuing issue in America, known as racism.

However, it's been a misconception in America in many ways. The truth has been distorted, so people are not told the truth.

Racism is a separation tactic used by some, for whatever reason.

Racism is specific with regards to the differences between races. However, these differences are trivial and irrelevant in the much larger picture.

When science determined "humans" were a species, it went to the point of, separating out the "races" within the "species". In doing so, some citizens of humanity have chosen to use it to spread hate and a variety of other things as well.

However, I explain more in the hub with regards to racism, simply because racism is generally seen as a one-sided argument, simply due to the fact that most people cannot be objective.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree. In reality there is no racism. There is only color, ethnic and cultural prejudice.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image53
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I think that ethnocentrism or the belief that your ethnic identity is superior to others is just plainly wrong. Prejudice and taking them to a higher level by being snobbish to others by value of race or ethnicity is wrong.

You take pride because you know your identity and that is important - to be able to belong.

7. citizenjournalist profile image56
    citizenjournalistposted 13 years ago

Interestingly enough, my political darling is Alan Keyes, my boys are half Puerto Rican, my wife is Colombian and I hale from the 40th state to join the Union.  It is my understanding that 38 states and/or territories were largely Union territory.  Translation:  A whole lot of white folk found slavery morally reprehensible.  It is a common misconception that white people solely descended from white Southerners.

I find it interesting that so many with "higher degrees" of education fail to employ the aforementioned as it relates to race relations within the United States.  Actually, I find the actions of many black folk in the South morally reprehensible. They act as if white people who are not products of the South have never migrated South.

Perhaps more importantly, I've friends from England who can no longer fly the flag of their homeland or teach about the Holocaust. Silly me and I thought Nazi Germany was responsible for the Holocaust.  Muslims, who reside in England, are troubled when schools there teach about the Holocaust.  Can you say slippery slope?  I knew you could.  Imagine if white people from 38 Union States and/or territories got tired of being referred to as "Cracker."  Imagine further if they started whining about things and ask that slavery not be taught in schools -- after all hundreds of thousands, even millions of white folk had NOTHING to do with slavery and to ask for an "apology" would mean that more slaves would have existed.  Is that what you want Acirema, excuse me, America?  We don't but if you want to play your silly little games that intelligent people are able to see right through, let's play. Shall we?

1. profile image50
      Saariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait, wait, what? What did the Southerner thing mean? Maybe I'm just having an off day, but what about  finding 'the actions of black folk in the south morally reprehensible"? Or even the "A whole lot of white folk found slavery morally reprehensible"? 

Maybe this is just me having an off day, but I just don't get what you mean by your first two paragraphs.

8. J.R. Smith profile image60
    J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

I hate racism...and the dutch.

9. uncorrectedvision profile image59
    uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years ago

I find the whole concept of race to be puzzling at the least and offensive at the most.  There is only one race - the Human Race.  All distinctions placed on people to divide them into "racial" groups are, if observed as natural traits, variations in coloration or plumage or coat.  We don't refer to breeds of dog, cat or horse as if they were different animals for a reason.  A dog is a dog, a man is a man.  Race is a biological descriptor is an absurdity.

10. KFlippin profile image60
    KFlippinposted 13 years ago

Racism, bogus 21st century political ploy, for 40 years more or less, we have all had the same opportunity to avail ourselves of gov't assistance via Pell grants and student loans in order to gain a college education, and yes you still needed to work along the way, and yes it was hard, but my God, it was worth it, for 40 years we've all had the same playing field, those of us born without a silver spoon that would have been a black or white hand holding it.  Racism will never end in the World, human nature will not become robotic, and there is and never will be a perfect world.  No different than sexism in the work place is still happening, still thriving in many offices - you can't legislate away the humanness of Americans or any other culture, enough already, ad nauseum, up chuck, throw up, pockets empty, get a life, grow up -- that's pretty much what I think about all the racist banter and play, it's just so darn politically effective to suckers.

11. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Don't sugarcoat it, KFlippin. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Seriously, I agree with what you said. People NEED "isms" to give them a way to feel superior to .... somebody.

12. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

When I hear the word Racism , and in the form of question , "what is racism?" , My though was here we go, Again! Dialog on an even table is important. I know . Isn't racism , when a homwless guy sits on a sidewalk and you avert your eyes driving by.... Or when you wont shop at a wall-mart "just because ", with a dismissive wave of the hand...... Or when you hire the crew to mow your lawn with the darker complexions? But they "cant use your bathroom",  Racism is a biased opinion of others. And we haven't even talked about reverse- racism against anyone. The word 'racism' should be changed to better describe the situation......I think ,"Better-ism , fits well. I'm "better-ism" than you are......ain't that America!... Just a thought.

13. Karanda profile image80
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

This is a touchy subject but I'll add my two cents worth. I honestly believe racism comes from the fear of the unknown and conditioning. The people who shape us from an early age, yes, the parents, hold the key. Racism is born from what we learn as children. If our parents favour or disfavour a certain race or culture we are inclined to follow their beliefs.

I am ever thankful for the teachings of my parents that all races and cultures have something to offer the world.

14. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

I think racism has been largely neutered as an effective term because everyone uses now to describe someone that disagrees with anybody who happens to be of a particular race.

It's almost become as comical as calling your political opponents "Nazis"......

15. prettydarkhorse profile image53
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Racism is just simply the belief that your race is superior to others.

Race is socially constructed and is biologically transmitted traits that are perceived and is deemed important to a certain group of people. Example : Is white race superior than the black race? if you believe so you are a racist.

Ethnicity is cultural - shared way of life - like same choice of foods and clothing plus music et al..
    If you believe that your culture or way of life is superior to others, you are ethnocentric.

She is saying two different things.

16. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Racism is when you are washing your hands after touching a black man. I always thought that rasism is one of the means of survival for a small nation. Rasism in America is still a mistery for me, why?

1. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds to me like you have some sad retro folks around you, like maybe they were born poor and pissed in the 19th century...... smile smile.  Your comments just don't work for me as anything but bogus and bogus.  That would be the anwswer to your Why? question.

2. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree - most people do not even realise some of the racist things that they do, looking down upon others is the start of it, then pretending it does not exist buries it, denial is just an exhibition of it.

1. lovemychris profile image74
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we saw an explosion of it after President Obama was elected. And people have felt free to give reign to it now, under the guise of "not liking his policies". Because, IF they say they don't like his policies.....where were they with Bush?
        And GD it...Obama's polices have helped America!

Then, of course, they go on to say "A sign with Obama as a voodoo witch doctor with a bone through his nose is not racist."
        "calling Michelle Obama "trash" is not racist".
        Saying he's born in Kenya, that's not racist.
        Saying "they're another black family on public housing", that's not racist.
        Sending out e-mails of an African tribal dance with the caption,"Obama's inauguration" --that's not racist.
        Saying " He hates white people " is not racist.......

Give me a break. It's HERE. Alive and well...and denying it will  NOT make it go away!
        OH btw--did ya see the one on Halloween, when a KKK member put a black man hanging on a noose and said , "It's a costume"?
        This applies to mexicans big time as well. IE the Republican National Committee, mind you, using that speedy gonzales mustache on Grijalva--one of the ones Olbermann contributed to, and got reprimanded for...GEEEE, some coinkydink, huh?

Nobody is immune to racism, but these people are taking their racism out of the closet...even Hilary did it, with her "hard-working white people" comment.

ANYTHING to get votes!!!

Accept it....and Purge it....it's the only way out.

Yes yes, black people and mexicans are predjudiced too...only I don't see it in Obama or Grijalva.......
        Not trying to make public policy around it.

If anything...President Obama is trying like hell to be too fair and balanced IMO.

17. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Express an opinion here.......OK

Personally, I like the fact that if I cut my hand or anyone else's hand of those with a skin colour the same or different to mine, me, you and yours that are cut all bleed the same colour.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)