jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How is there an unequal parity in the large family environment?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

How is there an unequal parity in the large family environment?

2. tksabresinos profile image59
    tksabresinosposted 5 years ago

There are more people to account for so it's not just cut in half when there are only 2 people. For example 100 is split into 50/50 with 3 it's already off balance with 33.3 there's that .1 that will not be accounted.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Highly spot on and intelligent answer.   I did a hub on this very same subject, check it out.   In small families, the oldest and youngest child are treated equally. In large families, the oldest get the most severe treatment .

3. shampa sadhya profile image84
    shampa sadhyaposted 5 years ago

I grew up in a big joint family and I am proud of being so. I was the youngest of the family but never received any partial treatment. Yes, I received additional affection from all my siblings and cousins but not from the parents and other senior members of the upper generation. They treated us equally and always taught me to respect my older siblings and cousins. My family believed in equal treatment and that helped me to become a very grounded person.

4. todom12 profile image60
    todom12posted 5 years ago

I come from a family of six siblings, three step and three real blood. This gave me something to think about. I know my parents tried to treat us all equal. But this didn't always happen. There were many times in which we were treated unequal. I think it's hard at times because of the amount of children involved. If there are just two children it makes it alot easier to pass equal treatment towards the children. And I think this happens a lot in larger families. Most of the time parents are unaware of this problem.