jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Tips for teaching toddlers the alphabet at home?

1. sunbun143 profile image83
    sunbun143posted 6 years ago

Tips for teaching toddlers the alphabet at home?

What are some things a parent can do to teach the alphabet and numbers to their toddler or preschooler at home? Good books?

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 6 years ago

Start teaching your toddler recognize the alphabets at age 2 when he learn to talk. Teach your toddler the fun of learning with homemade flash cards, games and sing-along-songs. Learn the ABC with fun read more

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

My son is now 9 but when he was very small we used two methods. One was the "Letter Factory" video from LeapFrog, which is a cartoon show that taught each letter and the sound that it made. He picked up the letters very quickly from that DVD (they also  have a "Word Factory" cartoon featuring the same characters for when you want to move on to early reading).

We also had a large "floor puzzle" in the shape of a train, on which each letter was a different "car" for the train. When it was all put together it had to be at least five feet long, and my son had a lot of fun figuring out how to get each "car" in the proper order.

1. MarieAlana1 profile image71
      MarieAlana1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely love the "letter factory" video. It is a great video. I showed it to the preschool class and all hail to the praise of "my child knows their letters now, Thanks!" It worked miracles!

4. Savsmum1 profile image57
    Savsmum1posted 6 years ago

We take it one step at time by having a letter/number of the week. Throughout the week we look for objects featuring our letter or number and at the end of the week we make a picture to showcase our busy findings.  It's a relaxed and fun way to learn as you can spot your objects anytime, anywhere.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 6 years ago

My son learned to read the alphabets at home by reading her older sister's kindergarten books. Then, I created circle flash cards , A to Z and another set are just the pictures drawn according to the book. When I asked him which letter starts with "C", he picked up the "cat" picture and said cat. He was 2 years old back then.

6. sankari.nayagam profile image79
    sankari.nayagamposted 6 years ago

A Facebook status said, “Very excited to hear my 18 month old baby saying B when I say A and D when I say C”. When I read the statement I felt, what is so excited about it. But I was able to feel the excitement when my kid did the same when she... read more

7. sunbun143 profile image83
    sunbun143posted 6 years ago

So far, things that have worked:
    Books, like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Leapfrog laptop
    Slowly repeating the alphabet letter by letter (not the song)
    Melissa & Doug wooden puzzles

Thanks for all your tips! I'll be sure to implement as many as I can in our teaching process.

working