Do you believe that every mother who is physically able to should breastfeed?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

Do you believe that every mother who is physically able to should breastfeed?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Yes! There are far too many benefits to both child and mother not to unless there is a medical reason. Here in the USA we have free lactation consultants in every city for the people who can't afford them so that if they struggle they can get help. The benefits are just too much to miss out on.

Stina Caxeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The lactation consultants definitely did everything they could to help me, unfortunately I couldn't do it.  I gave it a month each time and then I gave up even though the lactation consultants insisted I keep trying.

3. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Yes.......................................................................

I think all mothers should at least consider it, but if they can't or choose not to they shouldn't be looked down on.  I wasn't physically able to do it and the father of my kids was so angry with me for it.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I think it is a personal choice. It is certainly best for the child. I had one daughter who was breast fed for a very long time.  My second child had some minor problems at birth, remaining in the hospital when I went home so she was not able to breast feed.  Both girls are grown and healthy.

I think we have reached an age when formulas contain the necessary nutrients for the child's physical health.  Personally I am really glad to have had that experience with my oldest daughter, but I wouldn't judge one who chooses not to breastfeed.

I agree.  I wasn't able to with either of my children but I did try for over a month each time.  The lactation consultants in the hospital tried everything to help me but it never worked.  I wish I had been able to experience that.

5. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

depending on the size of the breast! My breast is equally the size of my small rice bowl. So you could just imagine how small are my breast! When i was pregnant, the breasts were fuller and i was thankful that i could breastfeed my 1st child for a day. She was happy sucking. Unfortunately, i could press any milk out on the 2nd day and had to depend on powder milk to feed her. If you have a pair of breast that 3x bigger than mine, of course you should breastfeed your baby.

I didn't realize size had anything to do with it.  Interesting.

6. profile image0
    DanaMarie411posted 11 years ago

I dont' think so. I think breastfeeding is a choice. I personally breastfed but I don't think it's necessary. I understand the importance of breastfeeding, I did it. However, I don't think it's a bad thing if a mother chooses not to.

Good point.  It really is best but I don't think there is a reason to look down on a woman who cant or wont.  Formula is also full of nutrients.  My kids both got formula and they are fine.

7. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

I don't think any woman should be forced to do something she is not comfortable with, but I do think breast feeding gives you baby and excellent and healthy start in life and I would encourage any expecting mother to educate herself completely on the subject. There are so many pluses for both mom and baby.

Good point.  I never wanted to do it but once I had my babies I wanted to at least try give them the best nutrition that I could.  It didn't work for me unfortunately.

8. Moon Daisy profile image79
    Moon Daisyposted 11 years ago

A woman should try to breastfeed if they believe that it's best for their baby (I do), but also if they believe it is best for them. 

There's little point doing it and resenting it or being unhappy about it.  If you do you probably won't be doing it for very long, as you won't give it your best and your baby might also pick up on your resentment and negativity.  (Although even doing it for a short time is better for baby than not trying at all.  The initial colostrum is great for a newborn, and the longer you can happily feed, the better).

My first baby had to stay at the hospital for 6 months.  I had to go home and try pump every 2 hours.  After a month of not getting anything I gave up deciding I needed my sleep and less stress so I could be strong for my daughter.

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

It is a matter choice and some may not be able to.  There are some women who are uncomfortable doing it.  But they use a breast pump to put their milk in a bottle

10. mitowrite profile image66
    mitowriteposted 11 years ago

It's a personal choice. They don't have to if they don't want to or are unable to. As long as they don't let their child starve or suffer from lack of nutrients, do whatever.

11. TheDatingMom profile image61
    TheDatingMomposted 11 years ago

No, absolutely not.  It's a personal decision each woman must make for herself.  No matter what a mother chooses, the important thing is that her choice is respected by others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)