Question on step-parenting

1. Bishop55 profile image93
    Bishop55posted 5 years ago

Question on step-parenting

I am raising my 6 yr old stepson with my husband.  Due to specific circumstances he does not see his biological mother or siblings (due to her drug use).  How can we comfort him when he misses them?  Right now, we've explained that he can't see his mom until she does things she needs to do because she wasnt taking care of him, we explain its not his fault, etc... but how do we comfort him regarding his siblings?  I think he misses them more than he misses her.  I've been in his life since he was 1.5 yrs old.

2. Ang1484 profile image59
    Ang1484posted 5 years ago

I am in a fairly similar situation. I had to get and OFP against my childrens father so they currently arent seeing him at all until he too gets the treatment he needs to get better. They have a little sister whom they also dont get to see and as hard as it is we just have to remind them that this is Only temporary. I let my children write letters,or journal of some sort to at least let those feelings out. Also every time he gets sad or misses them..tell him to look at their pictures (if he has any) and send Love their way! Let him know each time he sends love their way itll help him and them miss each other less and less smile It gives their feelings some kind of validation at that point.Reminding them that they are not to blame,rather they need to be strong  Root for them to get better so they can all be in each others lives again! smile I hope some of this helped..I know it can be hard being thrown into situations where we have no control,but as long as we continue to show love,comfort,protection and support..these kids will get through it a little easier!

1. Bishop55 profile image93
      Bishop55posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  this is helpful!

working