jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Whats your opinion on Test Tube Babies?

1. Joseph Muendo profile image60
    Joseph Muendoposted 4 years ago

Whats your opinion on Test Tube Babies?

Today we pay tribute to Sir Robert Edwards who is the pioneer of test tube babies.
    Do you support the technological advancement or is it scientist playing God.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7878617_f260.jpg

2. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago

I support scientists.  However, would be happy if my husband could grow our next baby in his stomach.

1. MickS profile image71
      MickSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Why on earth would you hope that, female animals, particularly mammals, were designed by Mother Nature expressley for the purpose of carrying and giving birth.  They have all the required equipment and also the strength to follow through that purpose

2. sarahmoose profile image80
      sarahmooseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Ciel!

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Quite honestly, I don't know how I feel. Something about it seems wrong but I have nothing by my gut to back it up.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

It seems odd to see that term used. It's been 35 years since the first "test tube baby" was born. Now the procedure commonly known as In Vitro Fertilization, or IVF, is a commonly used treatment for infertility. I assume you have raised this question because Sir Robert Edwards has died.

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 4 years ago

A quick read through Brave New World, With all the hideous engineering, both physical and mental, of test tube babies, is enough for me to decide that it has no  place in human society.

6. sarahmoose profile image80
    sarahmooseposted 4 years ago

I think this is one of the most significant developments in reproductive medicine, and it has a huge part to play. I am lucky, as I have been able to have a child without this treatment, but for those couples who go through the nightmare of not being able to conceive naturally, IVF can help them have the family they want. I don't agree with the idea of genetically ensuring certain features or characteristics, but simply to create a life where a couple are unable to is a wonderful gift.

working