What causes a man who does not take care of his child, think that he can disrupt

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. brittvan22 profile image75
    brittvan22posted 10 years ago

What causes a man who does not take care of his child, think that he can disrupt the child's life?

IF a man/woman does nothing for their child why do they think they can disrupt the child's life, whenever they feel like it? I think you either be there or stay away, am I wrong? To me being a parent is not an option, but an obligation. Either step up to the plate or stay away gracefully. I understand some people may not have seen a mother or father figure, but right is right and wrong and wrong.

2. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 10 years ago

You are not wrong, brittvan. Nothing hardly gets me going worse than what you describe. Absolutely, step up to the plate and love and do right by your children like they so need or at least try to get them to those who will.

brittvan22posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting, I thought for a second maybe my thinking was too harsh.

3. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

EVERY parent should have the right to see their child unless they have/are physically or emotionally abusive. Being what the other parent doesn't like, does not count in my mind as worthy of refusing rights. 2 people made a child and 2 people should have rights to a child that are not decided by the other parent but an outside party.

If you understood what I said it has to do with disruption, meaning messes with stability and safety. It's not about like or dislikes, but fairness to the child. No one has the right to hurt anyone even if they have the title Mom or Dad.

2. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Stability is usually a card played by many parents who get mad about unplanned visits. (not directed at you) So long as it is within waking hours I never see an excuse to keep one parent from the children.

3. brittvan22 profile image75

Stability, safety, trust, love, and honesty are essential to any relationship. I won't say their are others that are not vindictive, but in this case that is not the case. I can't be a Mom today and tomorrow not and I think it should be taken serious

4. peeples profile image92

Speaking as someone who has two parents who decided not to be parents, It is better to have a less than perfect parent than no parent. If a parent doesn't love a child they don't try to visit. If one is trying at all they should be allowed.

5. brittvan22 profile image75

Things are never that black in white if your intentions for visits are to keep tabs on Mom/Dad and you do more harm to the psyche of the child, then you are better gone than there. A piece of parent is as unacceptable as a piece of spouse.

6. peeples profile image92

No offense here, but have you been in the child's position?

7. brittvan22 profile image75

If by that do you mean did I grew up with a single parent yes.  Did I have a father that played mind games? Still do. The only difference is it won't realize who the games.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

This question really bothered me on a child hood memory level. My dad left our house when I was seven. My mom loved me to death but did not really treat me all that well on the day to day. I cannot judge that. My mom would cuss my dad to me and make it uncomfortable for him to come around. I loved it when he did. Maybe that was disruptive to my mom's power structure but certainly not to me.

Now do not get me wrong. I had a wonderful childhood and was very loved. And because I could see how my mom treated my dad and in fact me. I could understand why he had to leave. My dad never said or did a bad thing to my mom. My dad supported us. At the time of his death at 89 he was my best friend.

So I answer your question like this. As you lay it out I understand how you feel about it and agree with you as you phrase it. But here is the rub. Who decides all those things. Certainly not a mom whose fury may have no equal in wrath.
    And I would like to point out that your scenario may well be the result of and illness or other handicap the father may have. Some folks are great parents but cannot hold down a job, or they may be absent because they are off protecting us in a war.
    I hope I said this compassionately. There are no winners and no right sides in a divorce. If you are having trouble in this regard I pray for you and certainly cannot judge you. I reckon a whole lot of love could be used right now and you have mine.

Wow, that is really an unfortunate situation. I have seen it from both sides good Moms and good Dads. In this circumstance this Dad is more concerned about partying, making empty promises. Thanks for commenting I like to see male/female perspectives.

5. brittvan22 profile image75
    brittvan22posted 10 years ago

Some of the most hurtful pain to work through is pain that comes from our parents. The relationship you have with your Mom and Dad affects how you develop and enter into relationships with others. I firmly believe children learn what they live. No one has the right to cause pain or hurt to anyone regardless of their title or name.  Right is right and wrong is wrong. I think if hurt can be avoided it should. I recall many cases where children were abused and when they tried to voice that pain to their primary parent it was dismissed. For Brittany, role/title/or whatever if you cause hurt, pain, and trauma than you should not be given a free pass because you are Mom or Dad. To say two parents made the child is health 101, but to think that gives you the right to say and do things as you please without baring in mind the impressionableness of your child is irresponsible, naïve, and neglectful.

6. profile image0
    Dilaniaposted 10 years ago

I think you are right. The problem I have is the repeated rejection. I gave my son's dad a few tries to be consistent in seeing him but last time I let them hang out (which I was on the fence about because I notice my son doesn't really ask or talk about his dad. Until he sees him! Then he expects to see him again in a reasonable amount of time but after a couple of weeks he wants to know why his dad hasn't come around or why he's not returning our calls and I cannot stand seeing my son in pain!) but they hung out, he told him he'll see him next week and now it's been a year.  I'm not going to let him see him again (if we ever hear from him) because my son seems more hurt when he comes and goes than when he is just gone. AND he lives with his girlfriend and her 2 kids so he is capable of being there if he wanted to be. Okay, so sorry, this obviously hits home with me. Trust what you believe is best for your child, you're the only one that knows the details of your situation. You're the only one having to take care of your child, do what you think is best. Personally, I'm not going to knowingly let my kid get hurt over and over again.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good luck with that. And when he is in college, or falling in love or playing baseball, football or basketball. Are you going to interfere in his life so he does not get hurt?
      Is it at all possible that you have some influence on why dad is gone?

2. profile image0
      Dilaniaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When he's older he can make his own decisions but he's 6, his life is in my hands and this is rejection from a father - very different than gf or sports. All I did was break up with him. Nothing would keep me away from my own child so I don't get it

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Dilania, I have been thinking on this. I guess the point is that if a man is not available for his child, this is such a blatant sign of something wrong with him, we need to have compassion there. And that is a pretty good thing to teach our children

4. brittvan22 profile image75

I understand your position its not fair to the child when everything takes presence except them, when they are the most important thing. Your worth and value is worth much more than a fleeting whelm from anyone or an after thought.

5. profile image0

Eric,  my son knows compassion. You can have compassion & still not let someone treat you like dirt. I don't talk badly about him to my son.
      brittvan, that's how I feel like my son is an afterthought. Everything else come first incl his gf's kids

6. Ericdierker profile image45

One thing is for certain, this is a great question with great comments. I learned much. And I am to be reminded to be grateful for much. WOW I love my children and their moms. Perfect reminder for Mothers day. A happy one to you.

7. brittvan22 profile image75

Darn it thought I was on fb for a sec tried to like both comments! You both make excellent points. Although we treasure our children there are others who see them as a burden I have heard horror stories I should hub on it. I always advocate for kids.

8. profile image0

I agree this was a great question. It's always good to hear different perspectives. Thank you, Ericdierker! Happy Mother's Day brittvan22!

9. brittvan22 profile image75

Happy Mother's Day to you too Dilania! More men should think and appreciate their spouses and children as you do Eric!

10. Ericdierker profile image45

What idiots --- But let us move as you two suggest, beyond them. What a great celebration tomorrow. I hope perhaps you two would enjoy my strange mothers' day tale "Nina and me" that I just published.

7. ShyeAnne profile image85
    ShyeAnneposted 10 years ago

Hi brittvan22,
    How is the child's life being disrupted? Are you sure the child is as annoyed by the 'disruptive' parent? What is disruption to one made be solace to another child. How is this person disrupting the child's life, or endangering it? If there is activity that could potentially cause physical harm or injury of course the visit would need to be supervised.  It could also be considered a disruption if that child in kept from seeing the dysfunctional parent by the 'healthy' parent. Is the guardian angry over unresolved financial issues? this has nothing to do with the child's right to interact with the parent that does 'nothing'. Many many variable..just sayin'

If you are present to keep tabs on the Mom and make empty promises to be there the next day and do not. If when you do come around you threaten to leave when the kid does something you like as they scream daddy/mommy don't go. I will hub on this soon

2. Ericdierker profile image45

This is very valid, what I call the "martyr syndrome" is very prevalent among custodial parents and it is immensely destructive. There is a cool bible scene that addresses this. One works to prepare the house and food. the other adores the guest.??

3. brittvan22 profile image75

precisely. I did a hub on the Levite's Wife or Concubine depends on your interpretation of the pericope.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)