jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Are the youngest kid loved most by parents?

1. Kevin Peter profile image71
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

Are the youngest kid loved most by parents?

Once a mother told me that when she had her second baby she started feeling that her elder child was very big. She started loving her younger kid more. Though she loved her first kid, the feeling that the younger one is too small made her feel so. Is it the same with all?

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I think youngest children are cared for more because they have more needs, it's not that the older one is loved less.  I love both of my children, they are 9 years apart. My oldest sometimes felt I paid a lot more attention to the little guy.  At first of course I did, he was a baby who was completely helpless.  Attention has nothing to do with love.

Do some parents favor one child over another - unfortunately, yes that can happen, but I'd wager to say that the majority of mothers love their children equally.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Greatl answer to this question.Parents pay MORE ATTENTION to the youngest child because they are seen as more vulnerable thus needing parents more.Parents contend that older children are more able to care for themselves.Wrote a hub re:this question.

3. padmendra profile image44
    padmendraposted 4 years ago

All the children are born  as a  precious gifts of life  But sometime parents start differentiating  about love to their younger or elder child.. In fact every parent is required to nourish or love  their younger or elder children equally and in the same way.  Else these gifts would be of no use for them. But the  main problem lies in us  where we give extra  attention  and care to their youngest child thinking that the elder child has already received due  love and care .  This leads the elder  kids  to feel isolated and as a result they feel more insecure.. Thus .parents need to look at this point  and do good parenting.for the betterment of their children.

Yes, many times parents cast aside older children in favor of the youngest children in the family.Youngest children in many families are given the most preferential of treatment while the older siblings receive more harsh treatment.This causes rifts.

4. leilabarda profile image60
    leilabardaposted 4 years ago

i'm the youngest in the family but not the most taken care of kid. it was my eldest brother. guess not lucky enough to have the chance to live the life of a youngest kid in the family.

Not all families are the same. Perhaps, as a daughter, you had to be the more responsible & dutiful one while your eldest brother, as a male, was waited upon & taken care off by your parents.

5. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Of ALL birth orders, youngest children are treated the most preferentially. They are also the most favored by parents. After all, they are BABIES of the family. Need we say more. read more

I wrote this hub as a response to this questoin.  Please read and comment.

6. FLW567 profile image56
    FLW567posted 4 years ago

I dnt know the psychology...

But I guess after the first child ,since most of them have at least 2yr gap, so they show a lot of attention on the newborn and that continues so on and so forth ...... and thats how the younger ones get more attention.

My Dh in youngest and I always get to hear from my BIL and co-sis that he always gets more attention frm his mother.

I'm eldest in my family but growing up i always used to get more attention.

I guess it differs frm family to family.