jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Grave site location in the State of North Carolina?

1. profile image54
    Serbenniaposted 4 years ago

Grave site location in the State of North Carolina?

How does anyone find an unmarked grave of a loved one if the official records were lost by local government, cemetery and funeral home?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

The North Carolina Cemetery Survey is working to find all the unmarked graves in the state. North Carolina has more unmarked graves than almost all of the remainder of our nation. read more

3. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

If there are no burial records it is going to be tough even if you know what cemetery they are in. A sad fact about the burying business is that in some cemeteries if a grave hasn't been visited for a long time they either let the grass grow over everything or even pull the stone to reduce maintenance or even resell the plot. I worked in a cemetery in CA in my youth and while we never did this I heard about others that did. If it happens in CA I'm sure it happens everywhere.
    If we had a burial record, we always did, we could find the exact plot even if it was unmarked, even the John/Jane Doe plots in the county pauper's yard where markers aren't allowed.
    Start by finding the death records and referencing what cemeteries were active at the time.
    You don't say what year you are talking about. In olden times it was also common to have family plots on one's own property.

1. profile image54
      Serbenniaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much!  I do have the death certificate and the cemetery information.  However, neither resource gives me the location of the grave.  The death occurred in 1966.

2. Borsia profile image44
      Borsiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

A well run cemetery will have a plot map and should be able to find the plot in a few minutes.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What's the name of the cemetery?  The NC State Archeologist's office is doing a project to identify unmarked graves and remains in NC. I'm doing a Hub with more info. that might connect up if I can get the cemetery name.

4. profile image54
      Serbenniaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Patty,
      Resthaven Cemetery in Dunn, N.C.

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great! I'll see what I can find out.

working