jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you feel about young parents who have dangerous jobs or hobbies?

1. Mr. Smith profile image77
    Mr. Smithposted 4 years ago

How do you feel about young parents who have dangerous jobs or hobbies?

Whether hunting crocodiles, driving fast cars, bungee jumping, or skiing off of a cliff, some people seek to thrill themselves for the adrenalin rush, or to thrill others for fame and fortune.

2. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Some people have dangerous jobs or hobbies because they want to experience the thrill  but for a short time   that sounds okay.  If  young parents choose to have dangerous jobs or hobbies just for the thrill of it they should consider the feelings of their loved ones and  not just think of themselves.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I agree with DDE's answer. But you also have to admit that any job can be dangerous. We typically think of things like police officers, firefighters, and people in the military. However, even working construction or in a mill can lead to situations where people get permanently injured or killed. Any parent, regardless of their job, should have a legal document drawn up stating who will take care of the children if anything happens to them. When it comes to hobbies, I think it makes more sense for the parents to back off the dangerous stuff at least until the kids are old enough to take care of themselves if something bad happens - but that's just my opinion.

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 4 years ago

Dangerous jobs can sometimes be difficult to avoid, especially since those with an element of danger do pay better. I live in Wyoming, and the only real decent-paying jobs most people are likely to find are in oil and gas. You might get blown up, set on fire, be dismembered, or have horrific falls -- but the paychecks can actually support your family, even if you only get to see them for one week out of three.

Dangerous hobbies are a completely different issue. Yes, everyone has their hobbies, and many have some element of danger. However, bringing a life into the world has many responsibilities, and always includes sacrifices. That sacrifice may be that that high-death-rate hobby just has to go on hold until the children are older. I had a friend who died while extreme snowboarding, and left a 2-year-old and 1-year-old without a father -- to me, that's about as irresponsible as anyone could ever get. Yes, you could die trying to cross a street, but deliberately flirting with death when you have dependents isn't acceptable.

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

Some jobs are compulsory for young parents to earn as a living. Hence, we just pray for their safety. Hobbies? I think they should think twice.