jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you hire a Male Nanny?

1. Aneegma profile image72
    Aneegmaposted 3 years ago

Would you hire a Male Nanny?

My sister in law has recently hired a male nanny for my five year old niece. I am super uncomfortable with this but the parents think its okay because we live in a modern day world where more men are becoming nannies. So rather than argue with them, I've taken it upon myself to just be around when the nanny is present and I watch him like a hawk. Although he really is very good with my niece but I am so protective of her (she's my first niece and first grand child of the family).  Am I being paranoid? Should I accept that men can be nannies without harming the kids?

2. Katrina Speights profile image76
    Katrina Speightsposted 3 years ago

I would feel just as uncomfortable, it may not be fair, but it's hard to overcome preconceived notions. In the US at least girls are taught to be weary of unknown males. All my female friends and I were taught similar lessons, so I'm assuming that it was a common theme for the nation, I could be wrong about that though.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

Men are just as capable of being caregivers as are women. Consider how many male nurses there are, for example. Due diligence should be carried out for anyone around our children (e.g. checking references), but having done due diligence, gender is irrelevant.

4. swilliams profile image84
    swilliamsposted 3 years ago

I agree with you Aneegma, I'm not comfortable with that concept either. Yet, there are women who watch over children that can do harm as well, may investing in a Nanny Cam could keep give her a peace of mind? Or perhaps you as a caring Aunt would feel better. What a good aunt you are.