How can I make my poems known out in my community?

1. profile image62
    SadeCharlesposted 3 years ago

How can I make my poems known out in my community?

I am trying everyday to write my poems and put with such enthusiasm.

2. Besarien profile image84
    Besarienposted 3 years ago

First of all find out what other poets in your area are already doing. There are likely meet ups, poetry readings, contests, and open mike nights at universities, coffee houses, artsy cafes, and bars. Meet other local poets and make friends. Support each other and network together. If there isn't anything like this where you live, take the initiative and start one. Keep the name simple and searchable like Poets of (Your town.) Advertise your meetings in the events section of your paper and in social media. To quote one of my favorite movies, "Build it; and they will come."

Another great way to share poetry within your area is to publish in local publications, like newsletters and magazines. Don't forget to reach out to small local publications that don't currently print any poetry- you might become their first poet or even a regular contributor. Seasonal poetry is particularly popular in this arena, but also poetry about local history or current events.

Volunteer your poetic services to charities too. Let them know you are available as a sort of local poet laureate to kick off fundraisers, walkathons, and charity galas with upbeat, uplifting verses about the power of team work or how each person makes a difference. Not only can you feel great about putting your talents toward supporting great causes, but you will be putting yourself out there and reaching a wider audience who might not even realize that they love poetry.

Last but not least, keep writing and never give up!

working