Parents with both autistic and typical Kids how did you explain autism to the ty

1. Compliancemommy profile image60
    Compliancemommyposted 2 years ago

Parents with both autistic and typical Kids how did you explain autism to the typical sibling?

My son is a autistic 3 year old, my daughter is a typical 4 year old. She has begun to question why her brother doesn't behave like the other 3 year old she knows. She also believes we love her brother more because of all the exceptions we make for him.

2. Cerulean Crayon profile image69
    Cerulean Crayonposted 2 years ago

If you're like me, you make exceptions for her too. She doesn't notice because you don't point them out. But you could!

The differences between her brother and the other 3 year old is another relative situation. Since all 3 years olds are on different types of spectrums (spectra), their many differences can be pointed out. This is not meant to sound easy or pat. Starting conversations about differences in people at an early age opens up a child's mind to be aware of others for life.

3. Kara33 profile image59
    Kara33posted 2 years ago

My brother who's autistic is 3 years younger than me. I was around 5 or 6 when I first started asking my parents why he acts the way he does. At that age I was too young to understand Autism. So to be simple my parents told me it was something he was born with. They Made sure I understood that he can't help a lot of his behavior the same way I can. When I got frustrated with him they'd remind me. Until I could understand Autism my family just said he was special needs.

Even though your daughter is struggling with it right now, don't get too discouraged.
    Empathy, compassion, and patience will probably turn out to be her best traits when she's older.

working